Document Enhancement for Functions

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

rasi
Participant

Document Enhancement for Functions

Post by rasi »

I would like to see the document comes with CD's has more information like more detailed explanation for functions with some examples. Most of the developers have this problem in getting the correct syntax.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hi Siva.
Are you thinking of the function in the DataStage BASIC manual, or the DataStage API functions (principally in the Server Job Developer's Guide)? If the latter, there are some examples in on-line help.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Sorry Ray I missed word "Parallel" Functions.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Functions to be used with Transformers are listed( i mean it literally.. no detailed descriptions or examples) in the Parallel Job Developers Guide in Appendix B(Page 1092).

Function to be used with the Modify Stage are not present anywhere in the DataStage Documentation. The ones that are listed to work in Modify Stage do not work. The Orchestrate Operators reference Guide lists the right functions. The link to get them is present somewhere in this forum.

IHTH,
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Well point Amey... It would be of great help if we get all these in next releases... That's the only document which developers can refer for datastage. Unfortunately there is no books available in book shelf for datastage.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Orchestrate manuals can be had for the asking. They're included on the student CD in all IBM's DataStage EE classes.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

Ray why dont we have Images in the Reference documents....since it is a GUI tool i feel seeing the image and referring the document makes more sense to me.....!

In Informatica i can rate the documentation as 9/10 because they use images paralelly with text, But in DS oops....nothing except text...!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? If you are saying there's "nothing but text" in the pdf documentation that ships with the product, that isn't true. Sure, some smaller ones that don't need any don't have any, but the big "Guides" all do.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

hhhmmmm.......In Info serve 8.0.1, the documentation part has links to all the Pdf's which has few images for each stages....! that is what i meant...!especially the properties and things...anyways......! this was just a request to make it more easier. :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Red Books have LOTS of images.
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

Thanks Ray......Yes we have lots of images in redbooks.