Vegas

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Vegas

Post by kumar_s »

Hi DSXians,
Why in vegas alone....
Why cant in various part of world on the same date or in consicutive dates.
Atleast some one can be nominated to propagate for each place across the world.
If the happenings made to capture in CD format and circulated or sent for those who request would also be enormously useful for many like me who are really intrested to come but unfortunately cant afford to be there.

Regards
kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kumar,

even though it doesn't seem right, Las Vegas is really a central place to hold a conference. The cost of flights there is inexpensive, cost of staying there is much cheaper than most places, the conference facilities are great and most people want to visit there.

Holding a similar conference in Europe would cost the European companies more than sending people to LV! And unfortunately the bulk of the customers as well as the prospects are spread between Europe and the USA, so the chances of getting an event like this anywhere in Asia are slight. Ascential/IBM choose different venues all the time, but again due to the customer base demographics it is always in the USA.

I attend an annual conference (the Shot Show) every year, it used to alternate between LV and Florida and the number of attendees was almost double when it was held in Las Vegas - which is why they've changed their plans and no longer alternate.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Last year they did "Ascential World Down Under". For a number of reasons - mainly Ascential presenters not being able to come at the last minute due to the IBM thing - it was a fizzer. I doubt they'll even think of doing it again.

Throughout the rest of Asia (both east and south) it is my experience giving presentations that you only get crowds to the free ones. This is not the business IBM is in.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

See the attached press release from a couple years ago, Informatica World 2004 makes European debut:
http://www.informatica.com/news/press_r ... orld04.htm

Since then the next two Informatica Worlds have been in the US.

I think they should be running a major conference in Europe, Asia Pacific is more difficult since the distances between the cities and countries is so much greater. I heard a rumour they were going to run regional conferences that followed the US conference and leveraged the session information. It all depended on whether they could get funding and permission from IBM.

AscentialWorld Downunder was quite lame but it was free and organised in a bit of a rush. Since there was only one session at a time I had to sit through some stuff I wasn't interested in. It would be better if they had one this year with all the Hawk software to demonstrate.