DataStage job listings at an all time high

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

vmcburney
Participant

DataStage job listings at an all time high

Post by vmcburney »

I haven't checked out the job sites in a while but a search of the Australian job site seek showed 110 DataStage jobs! I am used to seeing up to 20 jobs at any one time. Informatica had 49 job listings. There is a lot of duplication of listings on these sites and I figure if you divide it by three you get a more accurate count of openings. Anyone found demand for DataStage increasing in other countries?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

And I am leaving Europe for Australia in 1 1/2 weeks :) :) :)

But I do think that the Australian sites re-post the same jobs almost daily; there is a very high level of duplication there. Nonetheless it seems that DataStage and DownUnder are going well together now. Hopefully we can meet sometime while we are "close" to each other!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Some of the duplicates arise because more than one headhunter is bidding for the same gig. But there truly are lots of opportunities in Australia at the moment. Particularly for anyone with ten years experience in PX. :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray,

the usual listings specify attributes such as:

(1) trained Superman
(2) walks on printouts without leaving wrinkles
(3) 10 years Px Experience
(4) 2 advanced Computer Degrees
(5) 10 years specific industry experience
(6) no older than 25
(7) willing to pay customer for the honour of working

But I am still raring to go... Got an offer to do one interim month in Munich that I will most likely turn down in favor of seeing the southern cross.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

Vincent & Ray,

How do you see the Australian Datastage job market going over the next couple of years? Up or down?

Tim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Up. They (the Ascential reseller network) just got their foot in the door with government in a more than paltry way, and now have the IBM nametags to go with it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The demand for DataStage will only keep going up as the legacy coders get older and the manual coding methods get less attractive. Soon it will be easier to find a DataStage person then a cobol code cutter or a PL/SQL developer forcing companies towards a tool based approach. DataStage Hawk release should make data analysis and data quality a lot more attractive. These products are currently lagging behind DataStage in useability and usefulness and the Hawk release promises to redress that.

There are a large number of companies sitting on a Server Edition license who are not interested in parallel or other products in the suite. If the Hawk release comes with discounting, ie parallel version for the same price as serve edition and SOA for free, we will see a lot more activity in profiling and data quality and real time built around existing DataStage installations. The WebSphere branding will help and start to kick in to generate more sales.

Informatica will also grow strongly, they have fallen behind in Australia and have recently picked up the pace and have a better product with a roadmap to sell. They also scrapped a master reseller/training agreement with mip that gave them a headstart a few years ago but is now holding them back against a more aggressive Ascential.
peternolan9
Participant

Re: DataStage job listings at an all time high

Post by peternolan9 »

vmcburney wrote:I haven't checked out the job sites in a while but a search of the Australian job site seek showed 110 DataStage jobs! I am used to seeing up to 20 jobs at any one time. Informatica had 49 job listings. There is a lot of duplication of listings on these sites and I figure if you divide it by three you get a more accurate count of openings. Anyone found demand for DataStage increasing in other countries?
But are there any gigs paying decent rates?
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com