Error opening source file in QS Match Job

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

saadmirza
Participant

Error opening source file in QS Match Job

Post by saadmirza »

Hi,
I am trying to run a simple QS Undup job in the Match Stage...I created 2 files ..One as input and other as output...My questions are:
1. Which file extension to use for input and output?csv,txt,xls??
2. I have placed it in Data folder..do i need to place it somewhere else?
3. How do QS identifies whether the first row is the column names?
4. Even after deployment goes succesful I dont see the files created during deployment phase in the existing folders under project.Where can i see them?
5. I have 4 columns in input file and 5 columns in output files?Is it ok or both needs to be aligned?

During Run I get the below error.My Input file name is FPLOCALR

Error exec: /Ascential/Projects/FP1/Logs/UNDUP.Step001.log:ERROR: freqld FAILED (1)
/Ascential/Projects/FP1/Logs/UNDUP.UND.StepFREQLDA.log:freqld(956):05/20/2005 02:51:37 PM (MSG_vopen.c:10; vopen.c:437) ERROR: opening \Ascential\Projects\FP1\Data\FPLOCALR
/Ascential/Projects/FP1/Logs/UNDUP.UND.StepFREQLDA.log:freqld(956):05/20/2005 02:51:37 PM (MSG_vopen.c:13; vopen.c:627) ERROR: Unable to open file \Ascential\Projects\FP1\Data\FPLOCALR
/Ascential/Projects/FP1/Logs/UNDUP.UND.StepFREQLDA.log:freqld(956):05/20/2005 02:51:38 PM (MSG_vutils.c:13; vutils.c:1287) ERROR: vexit status=1

Op Failed Step001 (1)
EXITVAL=1

AL=1

Eagerly waiting for the replies....

Thanks ,
Saad Mirza
Vijay Kumar
Participant

Post by Vijay Kumar »

Hi Saad Mirza,
The following are some of my inputs for your questions.
1. Which file extension to use for input and output?csv,txt,xls??
The file name should be of maximum 8 characters and you can give just file name with out any extension
2. I have placed it in Data folder..do i need to place it somewhere else?
You need to place the file under data folders only, by default the QS pickup the file from there.
3. How do QS identifies whether the first row is the column names? As far as I know the QS Does not identify the first row as column names, you need to define the format of the input column in the DataFile Definitions and you need to specify the length of each column. Note the QS accepts the fixed lengh file fomat ( refer to QS manuals).
4. Even after deployment goes succesful I dont see the files created during deployment phase in the existing folders under project.Where can i see them?
To see the output you need to check the option Extract checkbox to get the out put file generated.
5. I have 4 columns in input file and 5 columns in output files?Is it ok or both needs to be aligned? For this do read the QS manual, becz I can not explain it clearly in mail how to define the out file. It has to be defined under the Extract button and u can select the columns in that output file, it will generated by the QS itself. The number of columns in output depends on your selection in the job.

With reference to your error message, either you might have given a wrong file name or incorrect format of the input file( It accepts fixed length file).

Regards
Vijay Kumar
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Thanks Vijay for the reply...
but the answer to first question..i did not get it clearly...can you tell me, when i create an input file within excel..which format i should save it in? what do you mean by file without any extension...where do i say that my input file which i created in XL is fixed lenght format?

thanks
Saad
Vijay Kumar
Participant

Post by Vijay Kumar »

Oh...
I am sorry, In UNIX it takes the fixed length format. I don't know about windows. Sorry if I have misleaded.

Regards
Vijay Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

INTEGRITY, the product that Ascential purchased with Vality and re-named QualityStage, began life on mainframes. This is the reason for the eight-character limit on file names and preference for fixed-width format (just in case you ever want to run your design on a mainframe, it won't need any work).
You can, within the product, use FFC (file format conversion operators - sorry that I can't remember the QS terminology) to change from other formats to fixed width. If you're calling QualityStage from DataStage you can, probably more easily, generate the fixed with format prior to the QualityStage stage in the DataStage job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

So now I conclude that QS cannot take tables as source data...only files that also fixed lentgh format...even with fixed lentgh format can you pleas e suggest me as of which file extension should i use to create my source file...because i get an error as shown in my 1st message that i am unable to open the file.
Ray, I remember I have worked with you...can you please look at my error message and please guoide me as i am new to QS...

Regards,
Saad Mirza
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In a QS project there is a directory called Data in which QS expects to find its data files. The error messages suggest that a file called FPLOCALR can not be found there. Are you sure you placed this file in the correct location? And that it's readable and/or writeable by whatever user ID you're using to run QualityStage?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Yes Ray,
I have kept the file in a txt format in the data folder...Also I have made it fixed length format...I am using my Administrator account to enter QS...also I have all the rights on the macchine..What may be a potential issue ?

Thanks Saad Mirza
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Hi All
I have been able to resolve the issue...actually I was missing the Carriage return as End of record indicator...
Now the error message is not displayed...thx all for your help..

Saad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is something that happens in lots of applications, not just the Ascential suite. The final line lacks a terminator, and the application either hangs or complains because it's not there.
One for your "tips and tricks" folder!