Order of columns when loading saved definitions

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Order of columns when loading saved definitions

Post by PhilHibbs »

When loading saved column definitions into a stage that already has some columns in it, I would like the columns to be in the same sequence as the loaded definitons. This could be an option in order to retain current behaviour for those that prefer it.

The complication comes when there are existing columns that are not in the loaded definitions. My suggestion for this is that if the user has selected the option to use loaded column order, they should be presented with a dialog box displaying the column name, and the options "Delete", "Keep", and "Move to end". "Keep" would leave the column defintion where it is (immediately after the same column that it was immediately after originally). I can see that this would be tricky to implement, especially if the column that it followed has to be moved relative to other original columns. The current behaviour is very, very annoying and tedious for the user, though.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant