Command Line Compile

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ccormack
Participant

Command Line Compile

Post by ccormack »

The most useful functionality I can think of would be dsjob -compile ... an addition to the dsjob unix utility. I have wanted this since day one. That way one can use a build tool like make or ant to compile jobs in specific orders saving many, many, many man days of time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How? You have to be in Designer to create/modify the job designs and you can compile from any client (multiple compile tool). How does being able to do so from a command line add anything?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

ray.wurlod wrote:How does being able to do so from a command line add anything?
You can command line import, so if you're doing code migrations from a tool such as PVCS, you can easily integrate pulling the source code and importing into a scripted operation. You can't do the last step - compile. For these purposes, I developed the batch job compiler, so that you steer from your migration/librarian tool, and then kick off the utility to find uncompiled objects and compile them.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

But if you've exported the job executable, you don't need to recompile. :)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

ray.wurlod wrote:But if you've exported the job executable, you don't need to recompile. :)
Yep, and you double the number of objects you have to store in your library. Deploying source code plus compiled code is a religious discussion, there's philosophical and practical components. I encourage my customers to adopt an approach to always deploy source code and then compile -> doesn't matter, DataStage, C++, whatever. You never have to deal with the issue of reconciling executables against source.

Just this week one of my customers is releasing the next iteration of their data warehouse (we do 4-6 majors a year). One of the enhanced DS jobs was dropped during migration because of an incorrect version label. We could at least open the job and visually inspect to make sure our developer notes kept in the long description had our revision commentary and the logic looked correct. Just migrating the executable denies us some of this capability. Migrating both source and executable leaves a tiny bit of doubt that both are a matched set, as in if the wrong executable version got migrated with the right source. I prefer to remove all doubt.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Command Line Compile

Post by PhilHibbs »

ray.wurlod wrote:But if you've exported the job executable, you don't need to recompile. :)
You do if the target environment has different transforms to the source environment, or different project parameters.

I'd like to be able to compile transforms from the command line as well. Also I'd like to be able to compile them in an interface like the Multiple Job Compile.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant