Locked jobs annoy me during import/export

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

vmcburney
Participant

Locked jobs annoy me during import/export

Post by vmcburney »

This is related to the recent protected project thread and reminded me of one of my pet bugbears.

I find it really annoying during imports/exports or version control initialise/promote when you get to a component that is locked and you do not get a Retry option. I would prefer a confirmation box along the lines of skip/retry/abort when a locked or unavailable component is reached. The retry option gives me time to find out who is locking it, run over to their desk, bonk them on the head with the full set of DataStage manuals (including the box they came in) and get them to close the component and then run back to my desk to continue.

Nine times out of ten I'll find it's me who has it open in a forgotten Designer session on my task bar. The retry means I can get complete my delivery without going back and finding the odd component that was unavailable the first time round.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We do unattended exports at a known time of day (21:00-21:10 approx). All of the developers know that, if they've left anything locked at this time, it doesn't get "backed up". Tough. The log file can tell them about it in the morning.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.