Search command in Designer

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

rasi
Participant

Search command in Designer

Post by rasi »

It will be useful if we have the feature of search/replace facility in the Designer. Things like replacing same transformation for multiple fields will be of great useful. Also replacing column names ....

Will make developers lazy..... :lol:

Thanks
Rasi
stotman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Search command in Designer

Post by stotman »

rasi wrote:It will be useful if we have the feature of search/replace facility in the Designer. Things like replacing same transformation for multiple fields will be of great useful. Also replacing column names ....

Will make developers lazy..... :lol:

Thanks
Rasi
Part of this capability was added in DS 7.5
You can now in the transformer on derivations perform mass selection and changes using regular expressions.
I'd be interested in how much flexibility you are after with column names - please mail me directly.

Cheers

Steve
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's basically there in the 7.0 release. I haven't had a chance to see what additional features were added in 7.5 as of yet, but it's pretty powerful right now. Right-click on a derivation and select either 'Find/Replace' or 'Derivation Substitution'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

JR Hines wrote a cool routine which I wish he would post called Findjob. It will search in all the jobs for a string like the name of a table. He is now an Ascential employee so maybe they would post it on ADN. It is a very useful solution although a crude being a routine and not a part of the product. He has many developers which use this routine all the time.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have a routine that does a search-and-replace on stage and link names, plus occurrences of the search token in job parameter default values and in annotations.

This enables generic job designs to be cloned and rapidly made specific.

Siva, is this the kind of thing you're after?

I read that you're interested in changes in Transformer derivation expressions rather that what mine does, but it could easily be tweaked to do what you seek.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

I don't think this applies to your exact question/wish, but as an FYI its a lot easier to write a scripts to modify the .xml exports of componts than .dsx and usually easier for just a plain find and replace. Sometimes project wide changes can be easily made form an .xml export and reimport of after modifications
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray

Post your code. I would like to see it. I think Byron is correct. I think it is safer to global replace in an export. Small changes might be safe too Raay's way.
Mamu Kim