C++ Compiler for PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

C++ Compiler for PX

Post by anandkumarm »

Hi,

In my company DataStage 7.0 is installed and I am having problem with compiling the transformer in a parallel job. All the stages in Server job are working fine but when I try to compile the parallel job it shows the following errors

##E TBLD 000000 17:13:01(000) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Subprocess command failed with exit status 256
##E TFSR 000019 17:13:01(001) <main_program> Could not check all operators because of previous error(s)
##W TFCP 000000 17:13:01(002) <transform> Error when checking composite operator: The number of reject datasets "0"is less than the number of input datasets "1".
##W TBLD 000000 17:13:01(003) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Output from subprocess: gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'

##W TBLD 000000 17:13:01(004) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Output from subprocess: In file included from /appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_framework/accessorbase.h:8,
from /appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_framework/accessor.h:10,
from /appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_framework/orchestrate.h:18,
from /appl/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/sbx/RT_BP125.O/V0S8_TSTDB2_PX_Transformer_8.C:21:
/appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_util/rtti.h:7:21: strings.h: No such file or directory
/appl/Ascential

I have changed the variables APT_COMPILER and APT_LINKER to point to the gcc compiler instead of the standard Sun Pro C++ compiler because my administrator told me to do so.

Is it compulsary that I should use only Sun Pro compiler rather than gcc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anand
netboyks
Participant

Re: C++ Compiler for PX

Post by netboyks »

Anand,
We have the APT_COMPILER and LINKER set to the standard SunPro C++ Compiler. We had the same error and there was a patch to be applied. Contact Ascential. Also if you look at your error message "/appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_util/rtti.h:7:21: strings.h: No such file or directory ", I think this where the problem is. Look for this file.
Hope this helps.
Netboyks.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

This error deals mainly with the fact that the compile options -KPIC are not valid compile options for the gcc compiler. I'm a little fuzzy on the details (been a while since I worked with PX), but even if you remove the -KPIC options the base options shipped with DS are not all recognized by all compilers. I can't remember what the fix was but you should contact Ascential.

You should be able to use whatever compiler you like, but beware of the options supplied to the compiler and linker.

Regards,

Michael Hester
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

There could also be a problem with the OS settings. The C++ compiler
should be registered in the OS(AIX/Solaris/HP-Unix)

Please consult the "Install and Upgrade Guide" -- particularly page 6-14 - "C++ Compiler"

Regards
anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: C++ Compiler for PX

Post by anandkumarm »

netboyks wrote:Anand,
We have the APT_COMPILER and LINKER set to the standard SunPro C++ Compiler. We had the same error and there was a patch to be applied. Contact Ascential. Also if you look at your error message "/appl/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/include/apt_util/rtti.h:7:21: strings.h: No such file or directory ", I think this where the problem is. Look for this file.
Hope this helps.
Netboyks.

Thank you all for the replies I contacted Ascential and they suggested me to install Sun pro C++ compiler because it was not installed in the Unix box where DS server was installed. I am waiting for my administrator to install it and see what happens. Thank you again for the suggestions.

Anand
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please do report back whether that fixes your problem. You can help the next person who bumps into that problem. 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anandkumarm »

ray.wurlod wrote:Please do report back whether that fixes your problem. You can help the next person who bumps into that problem. 8)
Hi All,

We were finally able to solve the problem. There were two problems one was the SUNWhea pacakge which has to be installed with Solaris for the compiler to be able to look for the system files and the other thing was the compiler was not installed fully with all the header files. What I think I gained with this experience is that you may have to write a simple C++ program using some of the header files and be able to run independently on the solaris so that you know for sure that the compiler is installed with all the packages.

Anand