PX job accessing SYS.GV_$INSTANCE which doesn't exist

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sarahendie
Charter Member
Charter Member

PX job accessing SYS.GV_$INSTANCE which doesn't exist

Post by sarahendie »

I am new to Ascential and just starting to develop Parallel Jobs.

I am getting the following error message when trying to run a Parallel Job using the Oracle Enterprise Stage (Oracle9 plugin).

Prepare failed for: GenericStmt_3
query is: select count(*) from sys.gv_$instance
sqlcode is: -942
esql complaint: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

The Userid connected to Oracle was granted permissions to all of the tables specified in the Parallel Job Developers Guide (page 12-3) with the exception of SYS.GV_$INSTANCE.

This view doesn't exist in the Oracle Instance that I'm trying to access. I don't believe that our Oracle Instance is utilizing Oracle Parallel Server.

Tables Granted SELECT on...
DBA_EXTENTS
DBA_DATA_FILES
DBA_TAB_PARTITIONS
DBA_OBJECTS
ALL_PART_INDEXES
ALL_PART_TABLES
ALL_INDEXES

I have 2 questions:
1. If we aren't using Oracle Parallel Server (the developer guide indicates that this is optional), what to I need to look at in our Installation / Configuration to tell Ascential to stop trying to use SYS.GV_$INSTANCE?

2. I noticed in the Intallation Guide (Page 6-19) that in addition to the tables listed above, you also need SYS.V_$CACHE access. This table wasn't specified in the Parallel Job Developers Guide. Do we need to pursue getting this too?
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

I think this is ORACLE database permission problem. Please contact your ORACLE DBA and tell him please give full rights to DBA_EXTENTS & SEGEMNTS.

Rgds
Mandyli
sarahendie
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sarahendie »

Just wanted to let you all know how we got our problem fixed.

There is an environment variable APT_ORACLE_NO_OPS that can be set to 1 which will tell Ascential not to check for the existence of the table SYS.GV_$INSTANCE. Once this was added to our Job, it ran fine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D Thanks for posting the fix, hopefully this will help someone else from falling into the same trap.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.