Strip header/trailer

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

bigpoppa
Participant

Strip header/trailer

Post by bigpoppa »

It seems like quite a few people need processing in PX to allow the stripping of header and trailer records for an incoming dataset. Wouldn't it be nice if the Sequential file import had separate header and trailer flags that would tell the engine to strip an existing header/trailer and output them to preset output ports?

-BP
stotman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Strip header/trailer

Post by stotman »

bigpoppa wrote:It seems like quite a few people need processing in PX to allow the stripping of header and trailer records for an incoming dataset. Wouldn't it be nice if the Sequential file import had separate header and trailer flags that would tell the engine to strip an existing header/trailer and output them to preset output ports?

-BP
You can do it with import's "source" option... although this isnt a very elegant solution - source lets you run an arbitrary set of unix commands on your file first, so you could do: source "tail -999 file" .
This does however mean you have to know how many records are in the file (thanks to frobby for the detail on the command 8)
Could you mail me directly so I can log an ecase on this and get some more detail.

Cheers

Steve
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Steve, I don't think BigPoppa is around anymore. They haven't posted since around March of this year I believe...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
stotman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stotman »

Cool Cheers Craig - just trying to make sure we get all these enhancements logged in the new system 8) - If someone else wants to champion this one I'd love to get a requirements source as I've heard it before 8).

Cheers

Steve