Interview FAQ in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

njaganath
Participant

Interview FAQ in PX

Post by njaganath »

Hi DataStage Gurus,

I am preparing for DataStage interview, Could you please post some PX interview FAQ / materials / Web Link / answers, As I couldn't find DS FAQ materials in the Internet.

Your assistance would more helpful to me.

Regds.

JAX.
jegan
Teej
Participant

Re: Interview FAQ in PX

Post by Teej »

njaganath wrote:Hi DataStage Gurus,

I am preparing for DataStage interview, Could you please post some PX interview FAQ / materials / Web Link / answers, As I couldn't find DS FAQ materials in the Internet.
In the interview, you should be capable of answering questions like the following:

1. Which stage would you use to ensure that both input streams with the same key fields are fully joined? What are the options you would use within this stage to ensure that this is correctly done?

2. How would you create dummy data for testing?

3. There are several new stages for 7.x that are provided for PX. Most are accessible for 6.x. How do you access the same features for those stages?

4. There are three different types of user-created stages available for PX. What are they? Which would you use? What are the disadvantage for using each type?

5. A sequential file can be used for flat file output. Is it also ideal for temporary storage? Why/Why not? There are two other stages that can be used for temporary storage of data. What are they? When do you use one or the other?

6. Name at least two different methods to export a fixed length row to flat files. How would you handle decimal values in this situation?

7. How does Funnel stage work (in general?) What is the issue with Funnel Stage for 6.x that will be addressed for 7.x?

8. What is column propagation? In your opinion, what is it good for? What is it bad for? Why do we have column propagation for PX and not for Server?

9. What is the language that PX engine uses? What language do you use to build user-defined stages (at least 2 of the three types)?

10. Warning Messages can be ignored. True/False? Why/Why not?

This is a very basic yet somewhat tricky questions, yes. The answers given for those questions are very open ended, and some could actually teach me different ways to do the same things. In PX, as it is with DataStage Server, there are at least 2 different ways to do a vast majority of things.

If you can not answer these question, do not try to fool people in thinking you're good at it. Right now, you are not fooling me. That is why I am not giving any answers to those questions. Find them yourself, and share them with us.

-T.J.

P.S. Everyone else, feel free to PM me the answers if you want. :) For those who passes, I'll make up a TCPE plaque - "Teej Certification - PX EXPERT". :mrgreen:

P.P.S. As much as I know about PX's front end, there is a lot more of the back end work I need to learn -- those OSH codes and all.

Whoops, I just answered a question! Alrighty, what is OSH short for? ;-)
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
njaganath
Participant

Thank you. (Re: Interview FAQ in PX)

Post by njaganath »

Teej wrote:
njaganath wrote:Hi DataStage Gurus,

In the interview, you should be capable of answering questions like the following:

1. Which stage would you use to ensure that both input streams with the same key fields are fully joined? What are the options you would use within this stage to ensure that this is correctly done?

2. How would you create dummy data for testing?

3. There are several new stages for 7.x that are provided for PX. Most are accessible for 6.x. How do you access the same features for those stages?

4. There are three different types of user-created stages available for PX. What are they? Which would you use? What are the disadvantage for using each type?

5. A sequential file can be used for flat file output. Is it also ideal for temporary storage? Why/Why not? There are two other stages that can be used for temporary storage of data. What are they? When do you use one or the other?

6. Name at least two different methods to export a fixed length row to flat files. How would you handle decimal values in this situation?

7. How does Funnel stage work (in general?) What is the issue with Funnel Stage for 6.x that will be addressed for 7.x?

8. What is column propagation? In your opinion, what is it good for? What is it bad for? Why do we have column propagation for PX and not for Server?

9. What is the language that PX engine uses? What language do you use to build user-defined stages (at least 2 of the three types)?

10. Warning Messages can be ignored. True/False? Why/Why not?

This is a very basic yet somewhat tricky questions, yes. The answers given for those questions are very open ended, and some could actually teach me different ways to do the same things. In PX, as it is with DataStage Server, there are at least 2 different ways to do a vast majority of things.

If you can not answer these question, do not try to fool people in thinking you're good at it. Right now, you are not fooling me. That is why I am not giving any answers to those questions. Find them yourself, and share them with us.

-T.J.

P.S. Everyone else, feel free to PM me the answers if you want. :) For those who passes, I'll make up a TCPE plaque - "Teej Certification - PX EXPERT". :mrgreen:

P.P.S. As much as I know about PX's front end, there is a lot more of the back end work I need to learn -- those OSH codes and all.

Whoops, I just answered a question! Alrighty, what is OSH short for? ;-)

Thank you very much Sir ( :D ), For your reply here, you're simply great,
unlike other one replied that don't post these type of requesting Interview questions.

Salute you.

Regds.

JAX.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

For your information, we make it a practice on this forum to not assist unqualified individuals in achieving positions or contracts. Not only do they rob the individuals who have taken the time to learn the skills necessary, but they lower the power scale and set an expectation of cheap services.

If you do not have the skills for the position, then earn them. Convince the client that you have potential to learn, don't bluff them into believing you know what you are doing.

If Teej and you are competing for the same position, and give the same answers, but you're willing to work for less, guess who loses? Teej and the customer, because Teej deserved the position, and the customer, because they believed they were getting Teej's skills at your price. Are you are surprised that we're hostile :?:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle