Getting up to speed with PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Teej
Participant

Getting up to speed with PX

Post by Teej »

Someone contacted me via private message:

I'm new to parallel extender. Eventhough I'm studying the parallel job developers guide I'm not confident about it. Can you tell me where I can find more help apart from this pdf.(Reg developing jobs)
What are the steps that I need to follow in order to understand it in the right way?

Here is my response:

The first thing you should do is enter the training class for PX. I do not have the information with me, but contact your Ascential representative. This gives you a big kick start on developing PX jobs.

Second -- do research and development for a month. Do not produce production-ready code. Experiment. Try different things. Test performance. Read the help menu for each stage/operator.

Most of all, ask us questions on the forum.

Finally, get an expert to do PX work for your company, and learn from that expert. I am one of them. Be careful and specify PX expert when hiring someone (for a contact job). Give him 3 months to get everyone up to speed.

Why 3 months? Not only do you need to know how to develop, you also need to address issues with programs in production. This also assumes that you have a good framework in place (detailed specifications, excellent QA staff, et cetera.)

Good luck.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).