Please read before posting: Appropriate use of this forum

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

whardeman

Please read before posting: Appropriate use of this forum

Post by whardeman »

Please remember that the DataStage forum and other product-centric and concept-centric forums exist for submission of support questions, debate of methodology, etc.

These are NOT the appropriate forums for submission of resumes or requests for resumes/applications. Resumes and job descriptions should be submitted in "Talent" and "Looking for Talent", respectively.

Topics submitted to the wrong forum will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Thank you for your cooperation,

The DSXchange Team
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It might be a useful thing to provide guidance on when to post to the Parallel Extender foum and when to post with job type = "Parallel" to the DataStage forum.
As I envisage it, the Parallel Extender forum is more about configuration of the Orchestrate engine, configuration files, environment variables, and so on, while the DataStage forum is about things specific to parallel jobs and the stage types therein.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

How about renaming the group something like:

"DataStage Development"

"PX Administration"

"Server Administration"

Or something like that?
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Folks should be encouraged to search for answers. There are many questions that get asked over and over. Today's one on difference between two timestamps is just one example.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

ray.wurlod wrote:Folks should be encouraged to search for answers. There are many questions that get asked over and over. Today's one on difference between two timestamps is just one example.
Well, the timestamps were not really so bad -- there are plenty of different ways to do it, and I don't believe anyone asked that for PX...

Now asking how to run jobs on the command lines...

Arrrggghhhhh... Oooo, Lord of the Ring Special Edition is out. *plays in his own world*

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
anupam
Participant

Sub-Categories

Post by anupam »

Actually, we should have sub-categories under each section. For example we can one one sub-category under Datastage Forum as ErrorDSJob. In ErrorDSJob all the topics should be related to the errors which have users have encountered in their Jobs.

Another category can be DateTime, In which all the topics will be related to Date Time Conversion, Difference etc.

I am just giving an indicative appraoch which will be of great help to users. And the user will not create a topic which already exists.

Correct me if i am wrong.
----------------
Rgds,
Anupam
----------------
The future is not something we enter. The future is something we create.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Ray wrote:Folks should be encouraged to search for answers. There are many questions that get asked over and over. Today's one on difference between two timestamps is just one example.
I want to reiterate on this. If you don't get any answers for the topic you have posted does not mean you have to post it again and again. For eg Handling null value topic has been posted thrice and Hash file Usage Analysis has been posted twice in a matter of hours.

In this forum you either get answers within a day or you don't get answers at all. You have to be patient atleast for a day to get your posts answered. Pls use the forum properly.

Best Regards
--Rich
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi All,

I've written this to the moderator as well. Many users are not searching before they submit their post. Probably, one of the reasons being that they forget that there is "search" facility or they are not aware of it.

Inorder to remind them about the "Search" before "Submit" ing a post.

The website can automatically raise a pop-up reminding folks whether they have used the "search" facility before submitting their post.

I mean, before one hits the "submit" or "preview" or "post new topic" , a window should pop-up reminding them about the search facilty. If this could be arranged, then it will surely help in reducing the duplicate posts for the same kind of topics that were well covered earlier.

Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Naveen,

I think that might be too Draconian and bothersome for many posters. The negative feedback that posters (like myself) sometimes leave for glaringly obvious transgressions seem to work well enough - at least for the time being. Perhaps the search button / feature could somehow be graphically highlighted to make it more obvious that it exists, though.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

ArndW,

Thank you for your feedback. Your suggestion is wonderful. The Search button must be highlighted.

Well! If we still have problems with posters posting duplicate topics then it wouldn't hurt to remind them. Probably it would take just an second extra to ignore the pop-up and continue with the post.

But I totally agree that it would waste "1 sec" of our time. :) And this Forum is our Darling. Ain't it.

Many Thanks,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
NBALA
Participant

Post by NBALA »

Hi All !

There lot posts are duplicates opened by the same guy or different user name from the same team.

I request everyone using this forum, Please DO NOT try to post duplicate for the same issue, rather I suggest you guys provide good amount of detail about the issue you are facing so that any will help you. Review it before posting. If you want to add more, there is option to EDIT your post.

This will save lot of time for others who is trying to help you. Also it will minimize the searching effort for any one looking for help. Please do not make this forum as JUNK.

Thanks in advance
-NB