QualityStage field widths longer than 8 characters.

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

vmcburney
Participant

QualityStage field widths longer than 8 characters.

Post by vmcburney »

Remove the 8 character limitation on QualityStage names such as jobs and columns. I'm trying to read a QualityStage output file in a DataStage transformer and I'm squinting at these &$*% column names of eight characters, LTAUADD and X1AUADD etc, and it would be so much easier if they could have long descriptive names.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Alas (for your wish), the eight character limit comes from INTEGRITY (and, presumably, from the fact that that product also has to execute on OS/390, where file name components have an eight character limit).
It's a given.
Remember that there are ex-Vality customers out there, who only use INTEGRITY, and it's my guess that compatibility will be sustained from as long as possible.
At least with Quality Stage you no longer have to reformat everything to fixed-width format text files! :)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.