DataStage TX

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Baldmartyr
Participant

DataStage TX

Post by Baldmartyr »

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

More stuff to learn! Aaaarrrggh!! :lol:
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The tool suite is expanding, this is a great opportunity for everyone.
Last edited by kcbland on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
janhess
Participant

Post by janhess »

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Editor

Let me introduce you...

Post by Editor »

Jan,

Let me speak for our good friends and established Guru's at our forum. First and foremost, we welcome and encourage you and your fellow Mercator users to enjoy the knowledge and at times, good natured fun. (teasing one another). Second, know that both Ray and Ken have experienced ALL of the acquistions and mergers that Ascential has journeyed through. Each time, the incoming technology has been presented and absorbed by those that already have DataStage. This merger brings the largest user community intact and thriving to us as a group. We enter this new marketplace with a great deal to learn.

Speaking for myself, and the team that supports this site, we all welcome your peers, and hope you find here a vibrant community in which to show and share your experiences.

Best regards,

Editor,
Dennis James
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Until you actually work with DS Server and PX, you don't realize Server and PX jobs are completely different technologies, job designs, compilers, underlying code. Ascential has done a great job bringing these technologies together. The same future is true for Mercator.
Last edited by kcbland on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Bland

janhess
Participant

Re: DataStage TX

Post by janhess »

Baldmartyr wrote:Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.
I don't know where they get the idea there is no need for extra coding. I seem to spend all my days writing rules for transformation.

If you guys think you need to learn DataStage TX does that mean I'll have to get familiar with the other DataStage products?
:shock:
Jan
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

janhess wrote: If you guys think you need to learn DataStage TX does that mean I'll have to get familiar with the other DataStage products?
Jan
I encourage you to learn more about the rest of the family into which you've been adopted. The training programs are very well designed.
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

janhess wrote:
Baldmartyr wrote:Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.
If you guys think you need to learn DataStage TX does that mean I'll have to get familiar with the other DataStage products?
Jan
I think it's more that we (Kim, Ken and I at least) are knowledge junkies, who want to know as much as possible about the product set. As consultants it's another string to our bows.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I'm still waiting for the DataStage Doom product so I can shoot the hell out of my data.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Vincent

I want a copy of that. DoomStage or QuakeStage.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

kduke wrote:Vincent

I want a copy of that. DoomStage or QuakeStage.

Kim.
i'll suggest it to product management ... ;)

Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
Join us at Ascential World 2003 Miami, FL October 26 - 28, 2003
www.ascential.com/userconference/

Referal: Andrew Webb (ascl)
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Re: Let me introduce you...

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

Editor wrote:Jan,

Let me speak for our good friends and established Guru's at our forum. First and foremost, we welcome and encourage you and your fellow Mercator users to enjoy the knowledge and at times, good natured fun. (teasing one another). Second, know that both Ray and Ken have experienced ALL of the acquistions and mergers that Ascential has journeyed through. Each time, the incoming technology has been presented and absorbed by those that already have DataStage. This merger brings the largest user community intact and thriving to us as a group. We enter this new marketplace with a great deal to learn.

Speaking for myself, and the team that supports this site, we all welcome your peers, and hope you find here a vibrant community in which to show and share your experiences.

Best regards,

Editor,
Dennis James
also keep in mind all the extra goodies and functionallity that the existing DataStage users will now have access to (event driven processing, Industry Standard support such as Hipaa, Swift etc) as well the the other way round, the DataStage TX users will have access to all the processes and fucntionallity that the existing suite offers... and if you start to use shared containers (px OR server) you can then detatch the logic from the systems, the arguement is very strong and very powerful in what the new component to the platform offers now and will offer in future..
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

ray.wurlod wrote:
I think it's more that we (Kim, Ken and I at least) are knowledge junkies, who want to know as much as possible about the product set. As consultants it's another string to our bows.
Ray:

I thought about this and would say you are close. I am a wisdom junkie. That is why I love tools like DataStage and have created my own to make me and others more effective.

I think there is a disturbing tread. The original thought was that RAD tools and productivity tools would be a great equalizer and bring average programmers up to the level of the expert programmers. The opposite is true. The gap is widening. The real talent is separating themselves from the average because they are even more organized and less involved in detail coding. They can sit at a conceptual level and design, build and deliver from that perspective. Managing metadata will be the real key. Using the same metadata to create different processes will be the key. We will see how good Ascential is at doing just that. They are definitely in the drivers seat.

My point is this, if IBM and other vendors think they can create quality if low priced talent then let them fail. The customer can hire Ray, Ken or Hester to clean up the mess. I sure they have a lot of practice by now.

I think there is another 2 cents worth as we say.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Sometimes I just wish I could get the opportunity to learn it the hard way as you folks have been. To know and understand everything while actually using it is an ideal thing for me. Tis too bad DataStage is not used that much in the Pittsburgh region.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).