PL/SQL Vs. Datstage jobs

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

PL/SQL Vs. Datstage jobs

Post by admin »

Hi all,

A brief background.....
Our client has an enterprise financial datawarehouse running on Oracle 7 and Express 6.2 (ROLAP arch), and it is not happy with the performance. Issues relate mainly to ETL and maintenance part. Currently ETL is handled thru PL/SQL procedures. We intend to perform this task using Ardent Datastage. Also, we also plan to migrate the DW from Oracle 7 to 8i to take adv of OLAP features of 8i.

The problem.....
Since im new to Datastage, my query is regarding that. The ETL logic of stored procedures can be built into Datastage stages/jobs. That way we eliminate the PL/SQL routines. The other option is to call the same PL/SQL routines from Datastage jobs (since those routines r already there). Or perhaps a third option can be to use an optimal mix of the prev two options (what is optimal?) Whats the best thing to do? Are there guidelines that help in deciding what to do within Datastage and what to do outside(PL/SQL)?

Regds,
Vivek Pandey
Consultant - BI
http://sonata-software.com
email: vive@sonata-software.com