Keep old log after renaming job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bahaus
Participant

Keep old log after renaming job

Post by Bahaus »

Hello,

When I try renaming a job, the old logs (previous runs) disappear.
I need to rename jobs but I would like to keep the old logs in the Log View.

Is there a way to do that?

Thank you
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not officially that I ever saw or remember being discussed here. I suppose there's some 'under the covers' games you might be able to play, depending on where you have them stored - XMETA or hashed files. For the later, I could see copying out the contents pre-rename and then back into the new (empty) hashed file post-rename. Just a stray early morning thought. You'd have to lookup the old and new job number for that, since where they're stored is numbered, not named.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Bahaus
Participant

Post by Bahaus »

Thank you for your answer.

I thought about copying the contents of the folders but when I checked the project folders it didn't seem too easy to identify the exact files to be copied and replaced and where, and I tried it on a project with only 2 jobs, after running one of the jobs (so I knew exactly the files changed, by the timestamp)

It will be hard/impossible to do that for my main project, where we have hundreds of jobs to be renamed.

I'll still wait, maybe someone else encountered this problem in the past and found a solution.

Thank you
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would create a new project with a copy of all the old jobs and rename them all in the new project. Just leave the old project with old job names and job logs alone. Mark it as protected and change the project permissions if needed. Keep it around for reference.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Bahaus wrote:we have hundreds of jobs to be renamed
Should have led with that, I would have waited for a better answer too. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers