Value for parameter could not be read using default value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Developer9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Value for parameter could not be read using default value

Post by Developer9 »

Hi,

I am using parameter set "Ps_count" to populate text file "param.txt" with count .I did compile the job before running. Please suggest me the steps to troubleshoot the issue with parameter set.
***Ps_count Parameters tab**
count (parameter name)
Value tab
param.txt | "why blank value here " -->(count)

***job design***
DB extract sql (count) ----> sequential file stage (param.txt)

**Job run options**
Ps_count parameters --param.txt (selected from drop down)
**Warning message**
Value for parameter 'Ps_count.count' could not be read,using default value instead .
**When I click OK, job ran with default value (blank).I can see that count value is getting updated in the file (param.txt) but I do not see its updating in parameter set meaning I can't see the actual value in values tab..

Code: Select all

****Expected result ****
Every time value updated in value file (param.txt) it should gets updated in parameter set
***Troubleshooting steps performed ****

Manually changed the value in value file (param.txt) but its not updating the value in parameter set (values tab) .
I already searched forums and spent enough time to debug but couldn't figure out the actual cause .

Thank you for the input.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I think you are a bit confused on how parameter sets and their values files are stored on the engine server.

Your job design may be updating a file called param.txt, but I'll wager it is not the parameter set values file that you are updating.

On the server go to your project folder. In it you should see a folder called ParameterSets. Inside the ParameterSets folder you will see a folder for each parameter set that is defined in the project. Inside the folder for a parameter set, you will see a simple text file for each values file defined in the parameter set. View the content of the values file so that you know what you need to provide. Each parameter will be on a separate line with name=value.

In your job design, what path have you specified in the sequential file stage?

Try this fully-qualified path inside your sequential file stage:

Code: Select all

./ParameterSets/Ps_count/param.txt
A job's current working directory is the project folder by default. The dot in the path represents the current working directory.

I don't work on windows, so I don't know if the engine will recognize the forward slashes in the path. Switch them to backslashes if the Windows engine doesn't like them.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you look at the Parameter Set in the Designer client, what is the actual name of the values file?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.