Writing HTML using DataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

U
Participant

Writing HTML using DataStage

Post by U »

Can DataStage write HTML files?

The source can be any row/column format, such as CSV file. The structure of the HTML is specified in CSS stylesheets.

Other than adding the HTML tags manually, is there any way in DataStage to make use of the information in the style sheets to generate appropriate HTML output?

Thank you for your time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you be a bit more specific about what the CSS is supposed to be doing? As a general rule, CSS is intended to specify how HTML documents are displayed rather than acting as metadata. You might also like to give some thought to exactly how your data are to be tagged, for example simple name/value pairs, or something more complex.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Haven't tried this, but the closest I think you might get is to look at the various XML Stages --- xml Input, xmlOutput and the xmlTransformer. Each of these has the option to include XSLT --- and then adjust output "however you want". It requires that you have extensive knowledge of XSLT and review how it can be made to interact with the row/column processing of DataStage, but it might be an idea.

The only other place I can think of that interacts with a stylesheet for presentation purposes directly is the output of a Web Services binding using REST for the Information Services Director....but that is an entirely different kind of use case, unless hosting a web service is part of your pattern.

In that situation, ISD publishes a DataStage Job as a web service, takes the output link and constructs a fairly standard XML payload, which can then have a stylesheet "attached" to it for rendering in the receiving client (usually a browser).

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just out of curiosity, is anyone out there writing HTML using DataStage? If yes, how are you building it?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.