Datastage infosphere 11.5 compatibility windows server 2016

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

GKETLDEV
Participant

Datastage infosphere 11.5 compatibility windows server 2016

Post by GKETLDEV »

Hi,

We are running datastage infosphrere 11.5 on 2 Tier architecture(Engine Tier on different server machine, Services + meta on different) OS: windows server 2016.
ETL was running smoothly for 3 months. From last week we started facing job hang issue during ETL process. On some analysis we found that engine tier machine was abnormally shutting down during ETL process. following event log occur in event monitor of Engine Tier (machine is running as VM).

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Event id (43) , Task id (63)

We arise this issue to IT department, SA says that there is no hardware issue with system, so you need to check whether application is causing system restart.

Is infosphere 11.5 compatible with windows server 2016 (In IBM installation guide Windows server 2016 is available in list for 11.7 not for 11.5 ) ?
I wanted to know is there possibility that datastage can somehow cause system restart, due to compatibility or any other issue?

System details
Services + Meta Tier:
Processor: Intel Xenon Gold 6140 @ 2.30 Ghz ,2.30 Ghz
RAM: 10.5 GB
64 bit architecture
-------------------------------
Engine Tier:
Processor: Intel Xenon Gold 6140 @ 2.30 Ghz ,2.30 Ghz
RAM: 40 GB
64 bit architecture

Thanks and regards,

GK - ETL developer
Last edited by GKETLDEV on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry - I wish I could answer your question, but I'm just here to let you know that there shouldn't be an expectation of a "swift answer" at a peer-to-peer support site like this. I understand you'd like one and while you MAY get one, it's all in the luck of the draw as people check / post here when and as they can over the course of their own work day. Or before it starts in my case.

Your best shot at faster service is through your official support provider. Especially for a compatibility question like that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Datastage infosphere 11.5 compatibility windows server 2

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.
GKETLDEV wrote:Is infosphere 11.5 compatible with windows server 2016 (In IBM installation guide Windows server 2016 is available in list for 11.7 not for 11.5 ) ?
You've answered your own question.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
GKETLDEV
Participant

Post by GKETLDEV »

Thanks for your answer Craig. I had conversation with our harware support team. They are analyzing the issue but they were asking if this issue can be caused by infosphere. So I just posted it here to see if someone else had faced similar issue which could help me. By the way I added "Swift" word just as a formality, I can understand people are busy in their own work:) .
GKETLDEV
Participant

Post by GKETLDEV »

Thanks Ray,
As per IBM guide infosphere 11.5 is not available for windows server 2016. But we installed it on Windows Server 2016 and it was working fine(as windows 2016 should supports backward compatibility if I'm not wrong ). I just wanted to know can infosphere (i.e. any process) cause engine tier shut down.

BR,
GKETLDEV
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"should" is not the same as "does".

Any process running with enough authority (as most engine tier processes do) can shut down the machine, e.g. by executing a HALT instruction.

As a general rule, if IBM does not explicitly mention that a particular version is supported, then it isn't. Even though some things may work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
GKETLDEV
Participant

Post by GKETLDEV »

Hi,

I received response from IBM support. IBM recommends either to install DS 11.5 on windows server 2012 or you have to perform a In-place upgrade to 11.7 in as of windows server 2016.

Outcome of this post:
Do not install datastage infosphere 11.5 on windows server 2016. Other wise you have to do inplace upgrade to 11.7 or downgrade windows server to 2012.
For now only 11.7 is compatible with windows server 2016.

Thanks all for replying me on this post. Issue is resolved now.