Reading SAS code through datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rumu
Participant

Reading SAS code through datastage

Post by rumu »

Hi All,

As I am having issues reading binary file with multiple ODO using CFF stage, I am thinking to leverage SAS code that reads the Binary file currently. The SAS code was to be replaced by DataStage, hence the work was started.

As the SAS code is already available, can we use that SAS code through DataStage? I found a SAS stage, but that is for processing SAS datasets. Can I use SAS interface library to use to achieve this? If so can you please help me in steps?
Rumu
IT Consultant
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

So, just to insure I understand... You have been tasked to replace a SAS process that reads a COBOL binary file with a DataStage process? If so, feeding DataStage from a SAS application won't accomplish your goal - which was to stop using SAS...

Regardless, you can't insert SAS code into a DataStage application. You can integrate C++ or Java, but that can be fairly difficult.

-IF- (note the big "if") the SAS process can somehow be executed on the Linux command line and output its results to stdout, then you can use an External Source Stage. It can take anything from stdout and bring it into DataStage.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should be able to use the Java stage to read the SAS data through the SAS interface library calls.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Hi Ray,

Can you kindly elaborate on this? How can I call a SAS program that reads a binary file through java stage ? Do I need any SAS license for this ? I was going through the documentation of SAS Interface library call.
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How are your Java coding skills? Or is there someone there you could press into service for this? You would need to write whatever it would be asked to run. Documentation on the stage is here btw.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

I have 0 knowledge in java ..No one else in the project is there to help ..So not considering this option. Waiting for IBM to respond on multiple ODO clause.
Rumu
IT Consultant