Stuck DataStage Parallel Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

moalik
Participant

Stuck DataStage Parallel Job

Post by moalik »

Hi All,

One of my DataStage Parallel job got stuck without any progress and when i checked the director there was a warning in the job log:

DSD.INTclose unable to open VOC file.

As this job is in production, i didn't have much time to go through the log details and restart the batch immediately.

I have searched around the forum for any information but no luck.

Any help with regards to this would be really helpful.
Mohsin Khan
Datastage Consultant
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

The VOCabulary hashed file is a very critical part of the "uniVerse" database that supports every DataStage project. It tracks a lot of critical pieces required in a working DataStage project.

The top reasons you can't open VOC file are:
- Someone deleted it (Very bad!)
- Operating System or Process ran out of file descriptors to open files (moderately rare)
- Project or job is corrupted (fairly common, usually fixable)

If none of the jobs in that project work, then the VOC file has been badly corrupted or accidentally deleted. Then it would be time for your administrator to contact your official support provider for assistance in recovering the project (side note - you DO backup your projects, don't you?).

If the job worked on restart, then you might have problem #2 - the system was overstressed and couldn't open an additional file at that time. Again, you'd need to have a chat with your DataStage Admin / System Admin to see if that could be the problem.

If that's the only job that seems to be having an issue, then you might just have a corrupted job. If that is the case, you'll need to talk to your DataStage Administrator about running SyncProject to validate the project integrity (and fix it if required).
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020