View previous topic
Add To Favorites
deboots

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 8x
Job Type: Server
Additional info: What are the use cases that require security of definitions?
Anyone have scenarios where term names and definitions had to be restricted?

I'm planning our implementation of Business Glossary Anywhere. I need to determine if we create a generic userid with read-only access to Business Glossary and build that into the configuration file loaded to everyone's PC *or* I have them enter (and then maintain) their own id/pw with a easy training guide for how to do that.

I've been thinking that the generic userid/pw is a much better approach because I really want everyone within the company to be able to access and use the dictionary. I'm having a difficult time envisioning when a term name or definition would need to be restricted. We have a policy not to use any protected identifier info in the example fields. Any downside to setting this up so that everyone can see every term and definition???

Seeing examples of your concerns/issues might help me better understand what I should consider.

Thanks!
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

There are SOOOOO many use cases here. Absolutely there are sites like yours where it will be best for everyone to have access. But there are customers who have specific reasons to isolate terms, ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
cppwiz
Participant

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Who approves new terms and definitions? Will multiple users from the line of business input the new terms or will an oversight group review and approve the metadata? The approvers should have private access to the terms to review them in meetings, get sign-off, etc. before the terms are released to the general public.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
deboots

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Fortunately we are on 8.7 so we will handle that situation (restricting terms before they are ready) with Workflow. Even without workflow we can select the option so that only terms with a status of 'accepted' and 'standard' are available to general users.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Yes, this is an old topic going back to version 8.7, however, I just ran across a case where we had a request to import an industry standard set of glossary terms and definitions. The requirement was to maintain a reference copy that was read-only, while also having a second copy that could be modified by the workflow users, so that they can make customizations desired by our organization.

On version 11.x (we are currently on version 11.7.0.2), with workflow enabled, this can be accomplished by publishing the reference copy to the catalog, and also applying glossary development permissions recursively to the reference copy's category to only allow workflow access to a subset of workflow users. Which users to grant that access to? None of them. Then, they cannot even see, touch, or modify that category from the glossary development area, but they can view and search the category and terms from the catalog, achieving read-only access.

chulett

Premium Poster

since January 2006

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Cool

Space Available
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
eostic

Premium Poster