COBOL file without copybook

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rumu
Participant

COBOL file without copybook

Post by rumu »

Hi All,

Our requirement is to transform a process into DataStage where the old process reads COBOL binary files through SAS code and produces CSV files. DataStage will replace the SAS code and will read the binary files and converts them into CSV files.

The main issue is vendor is not ready to share the COBOL copybook, rather they shared the SAS code to interpret it to make the COBOL copybook. SAS code reads only 25% of the columns.

Could you please suggest if any alternative method exists?

Thanks for your help.
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Insist.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

We are insisting Craig but they are sending some documents with metadata. Our data architect is trying to create a a cobol copybook manually, my worry is whether that copybook will be reliable?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sadly, probably not, especially if you only have information for 25% of the fields. Guess the missing bits can just be treated as FILLER. :?

IMHO, it's a bit ridiculous they won't share the copybook, boggles my mind a bit and will make it very difficult to do a proper job of processing their files.
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Craig,

What our client has agreed to do that their data architect will create a copybook with selective columns ie 25% columns that SAS program is currently fetching.I see a risk here. Will it be feasible to read a COBOl file with a copy book containing partial fields?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... yes... as long as they include FILLER for all the secret stuff. The byte length for the entire record and the byte layout (position, type, size) for the fields you're allowed to know about must still be correct. Hopefully their architect is aware of this. Normally I wouldn't question that but this instance seems a bit special. :?
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

So you mean that if the file size 11340 bytes and our columns for interests consume 3000 bytes then remaining 81340 bytes should be made as FILLER in the Copybook?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yup. And PIC X(nnn) FILLER should work just fine, one for each section/collection of Contiguous Secret Stuff.

PS: No need to quote me all the time, just use the lovely Reply to topic option at the top/bottom of each page rather than "Reply with quote". Save me from cleaning up behind you. :wink:
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Craig.
So, if a the source COBOL file has 4 segments and each segment has 3000 bytes and we are interested with 1000 bytes in each of the segments, then for remaining 2000 bytes it should be FILLER PIC X(2000) in each segments.

You mentioned contiguous secret stuff does that mean unused columns positioning should have to be adjacent ? our columns of interests are not contiguous rather scattered. Ex, if one column of width 10 is taken @231 position, next columns to be read from @340. Is that ok ?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The short answer is yes. The medium answer is let your architect put the copybook together for you and see if it works. If they're worth their salt, they'll handle all that and it will work. Or it won't.

On the "contiguous" question, all I meant was any group of skipped fields between the ones you need to know about - no matter if that's one or one hundred fields - can be represented by a single FILLER field of the appropriate total length. You don't care how many fields are technically in there since they are Verboten! to you. So for your specific example:

FieldA sarts at 231 and is 10 characters (ends at 240)
FILLER starts at 241 for 99 characters (ends at 339)
FieldB starts at 340

Lather, rinse, repeat for all the stuff you're not allowed to parse out. Total record length should match reality. Of course, it's all still there for the viewing but DataStage can be told to ignore them.
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Craig for your detailed answer. I am supposed to get the first copybook on Monday. Will check if that works.
Rumu
IT Consultant
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Hi Craig,

I received the first cut of the copy book today. What was done there, the source file has 5 segments, out of that only 4 is of our interest. He created one copy book for each segment. I am not going into more detail on that. The first qs arises that can we have 4 different copy book to read same file or if we create one copy book with redefine clause, will be good?
As the source file has multiple segments ie cobol data files is of multiple records,should not the records type should have 01 level? I am not finding this in our copy book.
Here is a snapshot of the copybook. Not sure what is 5 RDT-HEAD?Similarly he has defined RDT-BODY as well.
I think instead of 1 RDT-DADA , it should be 01 RDT-DATA

Code: Select all

1  RDT-DATA.  

5  RDT-HEAD.  

10  RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES.  
                              15  RDT-REC-CODE  PIC X(2).

10  RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES-DETAIL  REDEFINES RDT-REC-CODE-BYTES.
                              15  RDT-REC-CODE-KEY  PIC X.
                              15  RDT-REC-TYPE-CONTROL  PIC X.

10  RDT-NO-POST-REASON  PIC S9(3)V COMP-3.
                    10  RDT-SC-1  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-2  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-3  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-4  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-5  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-6  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-7  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-SC-8  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-CHD-SYSTEM-NO  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-CHD-PRIN-BANK  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-CHD-AGENT-BANK  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-CHD-ACCOUNT-NUMBER  PIC X(16).
                    10  RDT-TRANSACTION-CODE  PIC S9(3)V COMP-3.
                    10  RDT-MRCH-SYSTEM-NO  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-MRCH-PRIN-BANK  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-MRCH-AGENT-NO  PIC X(4).
                    10  RDT-MRCH-ACCOUNT-NUMBER  PIC X(16).
                    10  RDT-DR-MERCHANT-NUMBER  REDEFINES RDT-MRCH-ACCOUNT-NUMBER.
                    10  RDT-CHD-EXT-STATUS  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-CHD-INT-STATUS  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-TANI  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-TRANSFER-FLAG  PIC X.
                    10  RDT-ITEM-ASSES-CODE-NUM  PIC 9.
                    10  RDT-MRCH-SIC-CODE  PIC S9(5)V COMP-3.
                    10  RDT-TRANSACTION-DATE  PIC S9(7)V COMP-3.
                    10  RDT-DR-DATE-OF-ITEM  REDEFINES RDT-TRANSACTION-DATE.
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm going to step away from this conversation and let the people here who actually work with stuff like this day after day take over. Been WAY too long.

And from what I remember, DataStage and the CFF stage do not support REDEFINES but that may no longer be true for all I know. And you may not be in a "redefines" scenario with your pieces but perhaps a "concatenate" one. Only you and your architect would know right now, and some of those questions would need to go to him/them.

To the best of my knowledge you are going to need one redefines-less copybook (even if you have to manually put the pieces together) to import as metadata for the stage.

Edited to add: Okay, never mind on the REDEFINES restriction, looks like they are supported according to the docs:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... Stage.html
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Yes Craig, I checked that Redefines works in datastage.
My only concern is if we can use 4 different copy books to read the same file?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In four separate jobs, perhaps, but still not convinced that's what you need. [shrug]

Hopefully more smarter people will stop by and help. :cry:
-craig