Scheduling of Jobs; a Director problem

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

irvinew
Participant

Scheduling of Jobs; a Director problem

Post by irvinew »

I have completed my job and it is ready to be scheduled.

I think I have to use Director to do this; all I think I do is simply launch Director; schedule the job to run at a certain time. I don't save the job somewhere; I compile it in design; verify it runs.

However nothing ever executes; I check the log and all the info is from the last run. Status does not reflect it ran.

So what gives? is there something in Director I must do to make it run? my user account has admin privileges. Do I have to move my job to some place on the server? Does only a certain user able to run jobs; ie someone who has root privileges on the server?

I don't know why it just sits there.
Will
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you please take us through the steps you used to schedule the job? We will assume that you have Director client open, in Schedule view, and have the job selected. Over to you. Don't forget to mention what happens at each step.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

You mentioned not saving the job, but you would have had to save the job in Designer before it would have compiled.

Anyhow, make sure when you add the job to the schedule that the time you select is a few minutes out into the future. If it's 7:04 and you schedule it for 7:05 then the system may not catch it in time.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In addition to all of that, on a UNIX system, your scheduling user would (potentially) need access to both "at" and "cron", which an SA would have to setup. The former is used to schedule single run events like run this at 7:05 today while the latter is for repeated events like run this at 7:05 every day.

However, I would imagine your scheduling request would actually report an error if you weren't on the "allow" list... so I suspect there's a disconnect somewhere in the process and will wait to see how you answer Ray's questions.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
irvinew
Participant

Post by irvinew »

Preface:

Job is already designed compiled and tested.

Steps:

1. Launch Director Client to the appropriate project as myself "irvinew" I have admin privileges. It opens in the "status" window

2. I open the "Schedule" window; right click and either "add to schedule" or in this case "reschedule"

3. The calendar dialog box comes up and I select the right time; I try to take a time 5 minutes or more in the future for it to run.

The parameters/description say ISUER=irvinew
The time to execute is listed to execute; not in the next few minutes but rather 5 or more.

When I go into the linux server; and I type pgrep crond to see if the cron is running; I don't see anything; the SA has confirmed it is running.

When I "crontab -l" I don't see anything. Mind you I am logging in as dsadm; a root user of the system. The SA has indicated he did not see anything in the crontab either.

The SA is not clear if ETL uses the cron or not.

I can edit and validate the job through the status window as well.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by irvinew on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

(re)Read my post for how cron is used. And not used. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
irvinew
Participant

Post by irvinew »

qt_ky,

I just tried it 10 minutes into the future and the status numbers do not change.
Will
irvinew
Participant

Post by irvinew »

chulett wrote:(re)Read my post for how cron is used. And not used. :wink:
"At" was not running; it is working now Thanks Craig for your help.
Will