Loading tables at one go without changing parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sangam
Participant

Loading tables at one go without changing parameters

Post by Sangam »

Hi,

My requirement is to direct load different tables from one database to another.

I have created a single job which directly maps from source till target & populates the required table(with RCP on).
But every time i have to manually fill in the table names in the parameter pop up.

Also since i am using the same job for different runs i have to put in a job invocation id, each time.

How can i : 1. Get all the values of the required tables in a file & parameter will refer that instead of prompting for the values.
2. Dynamically create job invocation id , instead of manually putting that.

Please help.

BR,
SANGAM
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. An outline of the technique is to do the extra work in a sequence job that ends up running the actual job. The sequence reads the file, optionally tidies it up, and sets up a loop to process through the values read from the file. Within the loop you can use expressions (or user variables) to decompose the lines to yield the information you need to pass to parameters and the invocation ID.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just wanted to double-check something. You said you are 'using the same job for different runs' but are any of those runs happening simultaneously? That is when you'd need Multi-Instance jobs and thus an Invocation ID. And is something that would complicate the looping job Ray mentioned since the Job Activity stage one would normally use waits for the job to complete before moving on.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers