How to delete a schedule for another user

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rumu
Participant

How to delete a schedule for another user

Post by rumu »

Hi All,

I need to unscheduled a sequence from Director which is scheduled by another user. I am not able to see the schedule, hence I cannot unscheduled it. Could you please help me?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Does anyone have elevated privileges on the server itself? Unless the architecture has changed, they're just crontab entries so technically someone with permissions could go in and edit / empty their crontab entries. There may also be an equivalent in Director.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Thanks Craig,

We did it in the same manner. Deleted the crontab entry.
Rumu
IT Consultant
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

The person with admin privilege could not see the entry in Director. Any reason why this can not be handled through DataStage?
Rumu
IT Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would be a support question. In all the times I used it on a Unix system it simply read the crontab entries for the logged in user, perhaps they've added something to handle it differently? I not know.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In DataStage Director you right click on the scheduled job, then choose Unschedule from the context menu.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ray, are you saying that will work for someone who is not the original scheduling user? Because that's the question at hand. :wink:
Last edited by chulett on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Ray,

The option that your are suggesting is working for the user who scheduled the jobs but if someone else is scheduled then not able to view the schedule for other user.

We asked an user with root prov to edit the crontab entry and that worked.
Wondering why we are not able to view scheduled jobs done by other users.
Rumu
IT Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is everyone in the dstage group, and is the dstage group recorded in cron.allow and at.allow?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

Hi Ray,

No, not everyone is in dstage group. We checked under /etc/var/spool/cron folder and found all the users that have cron entries. We changed permission by using chmod -R 775 and then edited the cron entry of the specific user whose entry was to be deleted.

What is cron.allow and at.allow?

We were asked to check cronjobs or atjobs entries.
Rumu
IT Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The cron.allow file specifies which non-root users are permitted to use the cron command, while the at.allow file specifies which non-root users are permitted to use the at command.

That said, I'm not sure that DataStage 11.x still uses cron and at for scheduled jobs. It may be that the Information Server scheduling service is the culprit. Check with IBM about how to configure that.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The 11.x scheduling behavior is the same as ever. If you want to unschedule a job from Director, then you must log into Director as the user who scheduled the job in the first place. Simple as that.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Figured.
-craig

rumu
Participant

Post by rumu »

If the user is not available then is there any option available from director to unscheudle it logic as a admin user ?or only option to edit the crontab entry?
Rumu
IT Consultant
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

From Director, an admin user, again, can only unschedule their own jobs--only the jobs that they themselves scheduled. In Director, no user can unschedule any other users' jobs.

The only option in that case is at the operating system level through root access or sudo root access, is as you mentioned, to edit the other users' crontab or at entries.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius