set default value on look up failure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

set default value on look up failure

Post by perspicax »

I have set the lookup stage conditions to 'continue' on lookup failure. These lookups are surrogate key lookup. It's defaulting to 0 for these values. Is there a way to default to a different value, let's say -1?

Thanks
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Not directly, but you can set the output column to nullable then check for null in a subsequent Transformer stage then set the value to whatever you want to.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

if dealing with 'very' large volumes and few failed lookups you may find it more efficient to reject them and only transform the reject link, then funnel back. But generally, the above is the best way. Its more stages to reject but less actual work, as far as I can tell.
perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by perspicax »

It works! I was using isnull vs ISNULL to handle and I think it is case sensitive.

In the hash file look up there is a function called NOTFOUND. Is this not relevant in parallel jobs?

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not relevant in parallel jobs because you should use the reject link functionality instead.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.