validate the existence of a file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tricampeon81
Participant

validate the existence of a file

Post by tricampeon81 »

FRIENDS FROM datastage I need to validate if there is a file who can show me an example
dfgdfg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Will this file have a fixed filename or does it change every day, meaning a wildcard match will be required for this test?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tricampeon81
Participant

Post by tricampeon81 »

fixed filename
dfgdfg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay, that opens up the possible solutions. How about expanding on where this validation fits into whatever it is controlling? Meaning once the file shows up, what do you need to happen?

Without knowing any details, the first thought is a Wait For File stage in a Sequence job. The job can run and wait of it to show up and then trigger downstream processing when it does. And you can define a failure path if the file does not show up after a period of time. Another option is letting an Enterprise Scheduler handle that, if you have anything of the sort there.
-craig

UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

in a sequence, execute command and parse the results of a ls or similar check is pretty easy for a binary presence answer without waiting on it to suddenly appear.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... on the UNIX side I would use a shell "file test operator", specifically -e for that. Wasn't sure what the Windows equivalent would be so hadn't brought that up. Yet. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since versions 8.x are running alongside MKS Toolkit, you can use the same UNIX command (test).

A test can similarly be performed using a DataStage BASIC routine, but I'm guessing you don't really want to go there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tricampeon81
Participant

Post by tricampeon81 »

UCDI wrote:in a sequence, execute command and parse the results of a ls or similar check is pretty easy for a binary presence answer without waiting on it to suddenly appear.
thank you very much this was what I needed
dfgdfg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still going to note that IMHO a "binary presence answer" would be way more straight-word using a file test than parsing the results of a listing. Especially considering the filename is fixed, not variable. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... like the OpenSeq statement in DataStage BASIC taking the Then path if the file exists and the Else path if the file does not exist?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.