Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Parallel
Additional info: IGC 11.7 Fix Pack 1
There was a new feature added in IGC 11.7.0.1 Fix Pack 1:

Quote:
While creating custom attributes, you can add restrictions when you do not want a custom attribute to be available for all assets of the selected type.

This is functionality I have been waiting for a long time because when you add a lot of custom attributes to Rules and Terms the data entry form can get very cluttered. You end up with custom attributes for data quality governance rules showing up when you are trying to end a data privacy governance rule or data transform governance rule.

In Fix Pack 1 when you add a Custom Attribute and choose an Asset Type to add the attribute to you see a new "Filter" button next to each attribute type. You can then filter the appearance of that custom attribute based on any other part of the information asset.

In my test I created a "Rule Type" custom attribute against Information Governance Rules as a pick list with values "Data Quality Rule", "Data Transform Rule", "Data Privacy Rule", "Other". I then created several DQ custom attributes - "DQ Impact", "DQ Cost to Fix", "DQ Severity", "DQ Priority". I set a filter on each attribute to only appear when "Rule Type" was set to "Data Quality Rule". It is pretty easy to setup, only took a minute. I can then add Data Transform attributes and Data Privacy attributes for other Information Governance rule types.

Now when I add a Information Governance rule I can see the "Rule Type" attribute in the detailed data entry screen but I do not see the DQ attributes - which is good as they do not clutter up the screen. When I choose "Data Quality Rule" from the combo box I still don't see the DQ attributes, I have to click the save button to refresh the screen and then the DQ attributes show up. If I swap the Rule Type from DQ to something else I have to save in order to refresh the screen and reload the form.

So generally this is very good functionality for removing clutter from IGC Rules and Terms in particular but can also help with custom attributes against anything in IGC. It does require a bit of training in terms of the trick - knowing that you have to Save and reload the screen to get filtered attributes to appear or disappear. The IGC form is not dynamically changing as attributes are selected.

It's very good functionality to have but in this release still a bit clunky.

LinkedIn: Vincent McBurney LinkedIn

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic