Connecting to Designer/Director from command line

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Connecting to Designer/Director from command line

Post by JRodriguez »

Hello All,
Is there a way to check from command line that a connection could be established from the DataStage clients to Information Server?

We have a validation script to test the health of our ETL infrastructure but in case that a connection can not be established to the clients Production Support team won't be able to do much .. hence the need to add this check if there is way to avoid a manual check

We do check that the dsrpc daemon is up but due to an incident in one non-prod environment we discover that the daemon could be running and is possible that a connection can't established. We also use the Operational Console in case of any failures....

Let me know
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I seem to recall that, at one time, you could issue the "dsjob" command from the Windows client command line. You would Need to get that executable (and associated libraries) from the windows DataStage server directories. Once that works, you could issue a query to get job information and parse the response.

I've only got a UNIX Server here, so can't check to see if this still works.

Worst case if you know the IP address and the port you could do your own check from the command line using Windows utilities. While not 100% accurte, it should come Close enough.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ISA Lite health check verifies this connection, though it's probably overkill for what you require.

The dsjob.exe and dssearch.exe commands should be available on the client tier. That would allow you to test a connection. Use the -jobstatus option with dsjob to have the exit status of dsjob be that of the job that you run.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

Thanks to both of you.

My understanding is that dsjob uses a different connection mechanism and the goal is to ensure that a connection via a DS client could be established. We don't have the luxury of recycling the services in the middle of the day

I will explore Ray's suggestions

A good news is that on the new 11.7 version we won't need to worry about it
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

Thanks to both of you.

My understanding is that dsjob uses a different connection mechanism and the goal is to ensure that a connection via a DS client could be established. We don't have the luxury of recycling the services in the middle of the day

I will explore Ray's suggestions

A good news is that on the new 11.7 version we won't need to worry about it
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

The only way to be sure is to use a "robot", automated keystroke routines that replace the user actions. We are using Blue Prism for similar work, replacing high-volume, repeated user activity (like acting on data defects that require updates via a user interface).

Good luck.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
DSUser2000
Participant

Post by DSUser2000 »

Datastage Designer does have command line parameters so that you can start without any interaction:
dsdesign.exe /H=<host> /D=<domain> /U=<user> /P=<password <project>
By this, you only need to check if it opened and then close it.

It could also be enough if you check other things which are fully command-line-tools:
- Job export/import using istool: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ndset.html
- Job Compilation: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... _Line.html
- Generate a job report: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... _Line.html This one also uses dsdesign.exe so it should show a pretty comparable result to the normal client...