All users (including Admin) cannot open client session.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

All users (including Admin) cannot open client session.

Post by rkashyap »

Attempts to open Client session for all users including Admin are failing with message:

Code: Select all

<Status xmlns="http://iis.ibm.com">
<httpStatus>503</httpStatus>
<msgId>CDISF0001E</msgId>
<msgSeverity>Error</msgSeverity>
<msgText>The maximum number of sessions has been reached.</msgText>
</Status>
Manintenance mode is not ON. Can you please share your thoughts?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds like time for a reboot / restart, although that won't help you figure out what caused this in the first place. Guessing you have a large number of zombie sessions.

Unfamiliar with "maintenance mode", is that related to having the deadlock daemon running?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Maintenance mode is a feature I requested awhile back. It prevents users from logging in while you are patching. One of the big advantages of having been at Wal-Mart... you get features installed. :)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... gotcha. So basically a "single user" mode.
-craig

rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

Thank you. Apparently, lots of zombie DataStage connections were being created from a rogue DataStage session on a desktop and maximum no of sessions was exhausted, thus no new session could be opened to diagnose/resolve the issue.

Solution was to bounce the box, restart DataStage and logon to IIS Console (before maximum no of sessions was exhausted). Subsequently (using the ip address from Session management -> Active Sessions) the desktop was identified and restarted.

Please note that only (one) Designer session was open on this desktop, which was not listed on IIS Console, but thousands of sessions with type "Unknown" were!
skathaitrooney
Participant

Post by skathaitrooney »

Apparently i ran into the same situation.

I was making IGC rest-api calls to the services tier. What i did not realize is that if i do not make proper use of cookies and sessions, each rest call would initiate a new session which shows as UNKNOWN in the admin console.
I made 1000 rest api calls and ultimately exhausted my session limits.

Had to modify my python code to make use of sessions and cookies so that only 1 session is created and re-used in subsequent calls...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:Ah... gotcha. So basically a "single user" mode.
Not quite. Maintenance mode prevents users who do not have the suite administrator role from logging in.
Other than the setting in Global Properties, there is no limit on the number of administrators who can log in while maintenance mode is asserted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... gotcha. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The maximum number of sessions is set in Global Properties in the web console for Information Server.

If none of your Information Server users can log in to this console, try the WebSphere Application Server administrator ID, which is set as the default IIS administrator when switching to LDAP realm, and (in my experience) never uses that privilege.

Otherwise use the command line option SessionAdmin.sh to kill all user sessions, then start again.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.