Post Datastage Installation Verification Steps

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hal_ds
Participant

Post Datastage Installation Verification Steps

Post by hal_ds »

Hello,

Can you someone tell me what are the verification steps to perform in Datastage once Datastage Parallel edition 11.x installed on new Unix server. Like running the jobs, Checking the database connectivity, reading the file...is there any steps I can find to verify post installation.

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards
Hal
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Run the ISA Lite Health Check first.

Then make sure a parallel job with Transformer stage compiles, runs, and gives correct results on 2 nodes. In the past, I have detected compiler version mismatch issues from doing that sort of test.

Then run a variety of DataStage jobs and test your Connector stages.

Setup and schedule any administrative server start/stop scripts and maintenance/backup scripts and test those out.

If all that is good then start migrating projects and developers onto the system.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Is this a brand new setup or are you going to migrate jobs from an existing setup into your new one?

Validate your scratch disks, TMPDIR (don't leave it blank), APT file, etc...

Hints:

Permissions on Project paths (sticky bit helps).
Sticky bit on a path under the DSODB directory.

If you have a Head Node + Compute Node setup, start writing validation scripts to ensure all is well across the systems.

Mounts on HN = Mounts on CNs.
NPROCS is a sane value on the hosts.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

PaulVL wrote:NPROCS is a sane value on the hosts.
Serious question... how does one measure the sanity of this value?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

well, standard data center build default is 1024. That is in NO WAY close to what is needed for an ETL host. I typically bump it up a digit to 10240, and see what happens after that.

Haven't seen a need yet for more, but then again, all my installs are mostly Linux grid with multiple batch ids, so the butter is spread out a little.
hal_ds
Participant

Post by hal_ds »

Paul,

We are migrating the parallel edition from 9.x to 11.x and we need to test the jobs once new version is installed on unix server
hal_ds
Participant

Post by hal_ds »

qt_ky,

Sorry, Can you elaborate what do you mean by Run the ISA Lite Health Check first?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Are you moving to a NEW host, or reusing the existing one?

Honestly, just test some jobs.

Connect to each database type out there (Oracle, Teradata, DB2, etc...) whatever you use in your shop. Do a "select count(*) where 1 = 2" just to test your connectivity.

Run a transformer, run a sort, get as many different fancy jobs as you use in your regular flow and add the kitchen sink to it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Our site does not seem to have a component called kitchen sink. Can you please advise whether this is in some patch or Fix Pack?

:D
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hal_ds
Participant

Post by hal_ds »

Thanku, Moving to New Host and suggested will test the all the stages used in the project.