Change in file permissions doesnt start metadata server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

Change in file permissions doesnt start metadata server

Post by hitmanthesilentassasin »

My org has a requirement that the files should not be owned by root and all start stops be executed by designated user account instead of root. what I have done so far is as below.

1. stopped all IIS process\instances
2. changed ownership of all the files within Websphere and InformationServer
3. running the command ./MetadataServer.sh run starts WAS server but gets stuck with the message "Waiting for Information Server initialization..."
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's a few more steps you need to do. Research "impersonation mode".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

I thought impersonation mode is required only when each user is required to create there own files in the project. Let me try and get back to you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:These references may help.

[url=https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... admin.html]Configuring WebSphere App ...
All the changes specified in those instructions are already done still I am not able to run it successfully. do you have any other suggestions?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I usually reserve MetadataServer.sh to be run by root (e.g. by the init process), and prefer the startServer.sh and stopServer.sh scripts for non-root control of the Application Server. MetadataServer.info is, by default, owned by root with rwx------ as its permissions.