selective compile

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abyss
Premium Member
Premium Member

selective compile

Post by abyss »

Hi,
How can i do selective compile?
I mean, if i have a transform stage, and two identical output link one link to database stage and another link to peek stage.
I want to compile both links in development and only compile one link in test/production.

can someone tell me how to do it? i know it is do able.

thanks
Abyss
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Just curious because I have not heard of this before...

How do you know it is doable?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yeah, not sure what makes you think you can selectively compile only part of the job. Why don't we start with why you want to do that - is it to "disable" or otherwise not use (I assume) the peek stage target outside of dev?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abyss
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abyss »

sorry guy, i must wrong then...
you let me reconstruct my question:
Craig is right: my question should be: How to disable peek stage (so it doesn't print into log) outside of Dev.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That is a much better question. :) Unfortunately I am not sure of the best answer. Here is one idea...

You could define it as a standard to set the Peek stage Output Mode to Output, such as to a Sequential File stage rather than to the default setting of Job Log. Then, assuming you have a code review step in your promotion process, someone can verify it is correct before promoting the job past Dev.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Another thought, a job parameter that can be leveraged to "turn it on" in dev and off in other environments. Basically via a filter in the link to the peek stage that either lets everything or nothing through based on the parameter.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you seek to do cannot be done using the compiler alone.

Craig's solution - to include job logic - is appropriate.

I recall once trying to set the "Rows" property in the Peek stage to 0, but this threw an error during pre-compilation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.