Docker for windows

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skathaitrooney
Participant

Docker for windows

Post by skathaitrooney »

Hi Experts,

Just curious to know if anyone has used Docker containers in any way with IBM Information Server ?
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

It has been done.

Code: Select all

https://github.com/dataflow/DataStage/wiki/Deploy-DataStage-using-Docker-(Unofficial)
Per Craig's post below - can't make this a link, so you'll have to copy / paste it.
Last edited by asorrell on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FYI, you'll need to copy/paste the URL as the forum software breaks when parenthesis are involved. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Timato
Participant

Post by Timato »

Are you guys sure that the link provided is "IBM DataStage" as opposed to some other program named "DataStage"?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol:

It's not like I actually went to the site Andy posted... but now that I do I see it's not "our" DataStage but indeed something else with the same name from 8 or so years ago:
This project is part of the DataFlow Project, aiming to create a two-stage data management infrastructure. DataStage allows research groups to manage research data locally, which can then be pushed to an institutional data repository.
What is DataStage and what does it do?

Never mind that any links to the 'repository' site are dead, seems like IBM's lawyers caught wind of it. Perhaps the OP can provide links to this "Docker" they are referencing. Or ping their official support provider.
-craig

skathaitrooney
Participant

Post by skathaitrooney »

:D :P :lol:
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I haven't done it, but I know that a lot of people are experimenting with it, in official and unofficial ways. In casual discussions, it seems that Docker can be complicated because Information Server is not just a "single process", but an integrated platform of application server, rdbms, independent processing engines, a formal OS layer that is typically used extensively, etc. etc. etc. It's not the same as just "running a VM". Still, it is something that a lot of very smart people are spending time with...

Everyone --- this is a great discussion... please share your thoughts on Docker, how you see it operating (in general) in your organizations, and how you see it working alongside of (or in control of? for?) Information Server.

Thanks.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hey Ernie, how about a link to Docker?
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

re: "a link to Docker..." ....Read above "I haven't done it". lol. ; ) I am not a Docker expert. I looked at it once, and for my needs, concluded "this is vastly more complicated than using a vmware image". I haven't looked back...but if someone figures it out, or it becomes an offering, I will readily be a participant!

Already we have "parts" of Information Server that are in early experimentation with Docker and available --- check out the IGC Trial! This is a Docker based implementation of Information Governance Catalog, complete with pre-loaded metadata for tables, some DataStage Jobs, Terms, policies, etc. etc. ...and available for download on Apple and Windows 10 for now......

https://www.ibm.com/bs-en/marketplace/i ... ce-catalog

....for a quick install and get-up-and-running to see, play with, and evaluate Information Governance Catalog. They found a way to cut things down and make it effective for a fast download and implementation, along with tutorial "helpers". Great for learning it for the first time, or for sharing with your colleagues who might be evaluating IGC for their own requirements. It isn't a "full blown Information Server" (it doesn't have a DataStage engine for example), as has some other parts that are slimmed down, and it is NOT for production functionality, but it is still "IGC" for everything else, providing the opportunity for a "taste" of doing governance with Information Server.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for that. Obviously, I haven't done it either nor am I a Docker expert, was just looking for a generic description of the product / tool / whatever the heck it is rather than specific examples of using it... that or a link to it. Not a big fan of things that say, "Hey, what are your thoughts on product X or movie Y or breaking story Z" that make me unwrap my Googler and wonder if I've found the right thing or not. :wink:

Carry on, nothing to see here.
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I hear ya. In this case, Docker is fairly popular now. Easy to google. ; )
Ernie Ostic

blogit!