Reading Excel on AIX server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anudeepdasari001
Participant

Reading Excel on AIX server

Post by anudeepdasari001 »

Hello,

Is there any way that i can view or read Excel file on AIX server using any commands or script. Is it possible?

Thanks
Deep
anudpETL
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Meaning, not using DataStage? Have you tried an internet search? I would imagine it would turn up whatever your options are.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
anudeepdasari001
Participant

Post by anudeepdasari001 »

yes not using datastage, Just to view or the contents of excel file on AIX server.
anudpETL
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

not sure if you can do it easily. There are a bunch of ways to work around it..
- you can run a windows virtual machine
- you can run a compatible program like openoffice that can read most excel files
- you can make a networked drive setup so you can open the file on windows directly via a mapped folder path
-you can open it in datastage 11 and maybe view the contents there or drop it to a csv file
- you can maybe open it via a web page (?) excel program. I am not sure about this one.

- you can write code in some language to extract the data from the file, possibly borrowing from open-office code base. This would not be simple, but it probably is more or less straightforward assuming you can borrow from existing code.

There are probably other ways as well.