Sequence x Job with ParameterSet

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

joycerecacho
Participant

Sequence x Job with ParameterSet

Post by joycerecacho »

Hi everybody!

I'd like to run the same job 12 times (changing only a date parameter) using Sequence job.
I noticed that when I open the job object in the Sequence, it appears only the parameter set and I can't set one of its parameters - which will receive the date value.

Is there any way of doing it?
Don't tell me that it is only possible to run it 12 times through .bat...

Thank you in advance!!
Joy
Joyce A. Recacho
São Paulo/SP
Brazil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds like a looping Sequence to me... have you ever done one before with the Start Loop and End Loop stages? I don't know why you wouldn't be able to set that parameter per iteration...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
joycerecacho
Participant

Post by joycerecacho »

Yes, I've already done this kind of Looping Sequence.
The thing is: is it impossible to set manually a parameter of a 'parameter set' to run it throught the Sequence?
Joyce A. Recacho
São Paulo/SP
Brazil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I can't imagine it's impossible... is your parameter set using value files? Seems to me that would drive the approach.

I'll probably have to leave the actual advice up to others as I don't have DataStage access and haven't for several years now.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Unfortunately the job activity is lacking in flexibility when it comes to parameter sets. You are essentially stuck with 3 options: choose "As Predefined", choose a values file name from the drop-down list, set it to the controller's parameter set of the same name.

The command line gives you much more flexibility. When I need the flexibility, I run the dsjob command in an execute command activity within the job sequence.

For example, when I want to dynamically select a values file at run time or I want to loop through and run a job for all values files in a parameter set.

In your case, setting 1 parameter within a parameter set is another example of added flexibility that you get from the command line.

Mike
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Consider creating an alternate parameter set for this job, and "demote" the date parameter to the job level. I don't use parameter sets for that exact reason, I sometimes need to override a value and making it "local" to the job (or sequence) makes setting its value easy.

I forget where I saw it: convenience is the best teacher of the meaning of diminishing returns. :lol:
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
Timato
Participant

Post by Timato »

You may be able to go around this by using the DSRunJob routine, though I have not personally tried id.... I think you can pass in the individual parameter values belonging to a parameter set by using [parameter_set_name].[parameter1]=[value1]|[parameter_set_name].[parameter2]=[value2]|[rest of parameters].

Having said that, i'd much prefer FranklinE's demoting, less messy :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Values files are definitely the way to go.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.