Parameter Set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nagac
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameter Set

Post by Nagac »

Hi

When I create parameter set for Database credentials for each schema, which method is better Parameter Value Set file? or Environment Variables?

What are the advantages of one on one?

I used value set file in every project as it is flexible and don't need to login to DS Administrator to change the value when I migrate the project.

Thanks
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

Not sure about "better" but

- we use environment variables for things that change across environments. This includes folder paths, database passwords, and the like. So the same entry in a job is automatically updated when migrated.

- we use value files sparingly, for things where you have different sets of data to use on ONE environment. For example, we use it on a filter that limits records by dates, and have several categories of date ranges the user can select the correct one for their job, but every value in the set is in use in only one environment. We just don't have a lot of these, I can only think of 2 or 3 cases where this was useful at my company.