[interview]business logic in the project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wuruima
Participant

[interview]business logic in the project

Post by wuruima »

I do the DataStage projects, 5 years, I like this tool and this kind of job.
Everday I thinking about the process of data and how I could tune the job to have better performance.

I got the interview opportunity about BI last week but I failed. The interviewer didn't ask my anything about the 'tech', but asked me everything about the business.
Actually this is a bank, I just know a little about the business, all I know if that how could I take care the 'data', how could I process the data to get the correct result to our users.
The summary of the business logic in the project, I said, do some mapping to get the related informations and aggregate the amount. Something like that. The business of the project is not complex, I don't know how to give the correct answer to the interviewer.
And I think it's necessary for me to learn more about 'business logic'. But I don't know exactlly what to learn.
Could anyone provide any suggestion to me?
wuruimao
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Well, data is data. It all needs to be secured from prying eyes and 1+1 must = 2.

In terms of doing homework for a particular business segment... that is hard. What you CAN pitch is concepts and security.

Since DataStage is an ETL tool that is often used to populate a data warehouse, you could go that route. There are several books on Data Warehousing. Some that even mesh ETL & DW.

Get to know OTHER tools and concepts as well. Like Hadoop and MapR. Big banks pull and push data to their DW or "Data Lakes". Being the guy who knows how to connect DataStage and MapR/Hadoop together is profitable.

Banks are highly regulated and are subject to security audits often. Brushing up on your "regulations" and how a DataStage setup can affect that is important.

Unix security roles are a MUST to understand for regulatory compliance.

Knowing the material and speaking with confidence during a meeting is key.

Managers in the banking industry will perk up on Data Validity first, "Security Compliance" second, SLA third. But follow up with "Realistically they are all tied for first place in terms of importance. You can't afford to drop the ball on any of those."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Curious about this "opportunity about BI"... did that mean using DataStage in support of the BI team (building marts, etc.) or actually using something other than DataStage i.e. a "BI tool"?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wuruima
Participant

Post by wuruima »

Use DS in the BI team.
wuruimao