Column with not fixed number of delimited values

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sham9
Participant

Column with not fixed number of delimited values

Post by Sham9 »

Hello,

I have a requirement where my source is oracle table and one of the column containes value separated by commas. I want to create individual record for these values. For example

Input
------

Colum1| Column 2
123456| 2,5,6,100,45,51

Output
--------

Colum1| Column 2

123456|2
123456|5
123456|6
123456|100
123456|45
123456|51

I know with transformer loop option, I can create multiple rows from single row, but no idea how I can get individual value in column2 for each record. I think it might have worked with a pivot stage if the maximum number of comma in second column is known. But I unfortunately the comma in Column2 is no upper cutoff, In other words I do not have a clue on the number of values in column2.

Really sorry if It is a repeat question, I cannot find answer when I searched. Please share the link if this is already discussed

Any help is greatly appreciated !!
Thanks,
Sham
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, do use a loop. There are examples documented. Create a stage variable containing the number of delimited fields (use DCount() function, for example). Loop exit condition is

Code: Select all

@ITERATION <= svNumberOfFields
Within the loop, extract an individual field using

Code: Select all

Field(in.Column, delimiter, @ITERATION, 1)
For example, Field(in.Column2, ",", @ITERATION, 1)
Load this into a loop variable and use that to provide the value of the output field. The second example in this IBM Knowledge Center article will provide a similar explanation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sham9
Participant

Post by Sham9 »

Thank you Ray!

My bad, I never thought about @ITERATION option. Thank you very much.It is working for me.
Thanks,
Sham
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pardon a (perhaps) silly question but I'm curious about transformer looping and how one controls that. Is there some other way rather than using @ITERATION to control how many times to loop? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Any expression.

For example a constant 10 if you always have 10 delimited fields.

But @ITERATION is there, and singularly useful.

Other techniques would be appropriate in the "filling in the gaps in a sequence of dates/numbers" scenarios.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.