DSXchange: DataStage and IBM Websphere Data Integration Forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Add To Favorites
This topic is not resolved, but there is a WORKAROUND.
dukesbrent

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Server
We've found some problems when attempting to use the Business Glossary Anywhere client against MS Word (2013). When we attempt to highlight a word, it will often search for the word of 'word' rather than the text that was highlighted. In other case it will capture a misspelling of the word that was highlight, like 'preskntation' instead of 'presentation'. We've tried various settings, currently using Alt + Ctrl + Right Click, but doesn't really seem to affect the results. We've used the same block of text (highlighting the same words) in other programs (MS Outlook, IE, MS OneNote) and get a much higher success rate (80%+) than what we're getting in MS Word (10%).

We've opened a Service Request with IBM, and have installed the latest version of the BGA client, but the results haven't improved.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Brent

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

I think we'll need to await IBM's response on this one, unless someone with expertise on the interaction between Word 2013 and Clipboard drops by.

Rate this response:  
dukesbrent

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

I've been going back and forth with IBM for several months now without any additional success or insight into what is causing the issue with BGA. I have a call set-up with them for the 6th.

Was just hoping that if others are finding problems, or having success for that matter, any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Brent

qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

We haven't run into that but then again as of now our IGA usage is very low. I would be curious to try to reproduce the problem. Do you notice it happens across multiple computers? Are there any certain fonts involved? Will just any text make for a good test or is it specific words?

Did you see this tech note?
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21607599

One of the suggestions is to try the Keyboard from Selected Text method (default: Ctrl+Shift+L).

The fact that there is a tech note suggests that many other folks have already encountered this same problem.

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

I haven't seen that tech note, thanks for sharing. I believe we've already tested a keyboard only based method a few months back without great success in MS Word, but I can quickly revisit that given we've also done a couple updates to the BGA client that we're testing with.

We're using a standard block of text to test the BGA client in the different applications, and the font is the same across the various test. In this specific case we've been using the MS Outlook default, Calibri.

We've test on several different devices, but as of late, mostly just one.

I'll report back my findings after doing some additional testing with the keyboard only based method. I'll also share anything that comes out of my discussion with IBM next week.

dukesbrent

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Initial testing reveals that the keyboard based method for text-capture is much more accurate than using the keyboard and mouse based method. This not only holds true for MS Word where I was having the biggest issue when using the keyboard and mouse combination, but also the other programs I tested.

I'll wait to close this until I have my conversation with IBM later today. I may have some additional info to share as an artifact of that.

qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thanks for sharing. I think that makes sense, if keyboard select means copy & paste vs. doing OCR.

chulett

Premium Poster

since January 2006

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Out of sheer curiosity, what version of MS Word are you using and do you have any idea if the version makes any difference here?

I know I don't say this enough, but I like when you talk to me. It's much better than when nobody talks to me. Or when people that I don't like will not stop talking to me.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
dukesbrent

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

As a follow-up to my call with IBM yesterday, they hadn't been able to replicate what I was seeing in MS Word. I was also informed that the latest BGA patch/update was supposed to have corrected the issue that was noted in the Technote ( http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21607599 ) that another poster had referenced above.

It was advertised to me that the technician at IBM that I was working with had been testing in their lab environment using MS Word 2007 and 2010. I've been using 2013. After our call they went back and tested again in 2016 and they were able to replicate the issues that I'm seeing.

In the short term he's advised that I use the keyboard only based method with BGA while they continue to investigate the issues with new versions of MS Word. As I mentioned yesterday, I have found that the keyboard only method is much more accurate across all software that I tested with.

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic