Shared Container best practices

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

leandrohmvieira
Participant

Shared Container best practices

Post by leandrohmvieira »

Just curious.
Can someone show me a good example on how to use shared containers in server jobs?
Because i just cant figure out one. Some example where i can use it several times to reduce dev time

Thanks in advance.
Leandro Vieira

Data Expert - Brasilia, Brazil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

IMHO they serve two purposes. One is the typical 'reusable code' usage. If you have common business logic that will be used in multiple places, they allow you to have one set of code that everyone can use so the rules are applied correctly in all cases.

Another use is as a local container (not shared) to make jobs more... condensed and readable. Large chunks can be in a container and if someone cares about exactly how the sausage is made they can open up the grinder. :wink:

However, the primary purpose is the whole 'shared' aspect for reusable code.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Historically, the most common use for a shared container has been for generic error capture and handling. This has somewhat been overtaken by the new Exceptions stage.

Connections to data sources and targets are also good candidates.

Another use for server shared containers is to introduce server job functionality into parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.