11.5 Backward compatibility not working

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

11.5 Backward compatibility not working

Post by MrBlack »

I was told that jobs designed in 11.3 will continue to run in 11.5. I've discovered that jobs designed with any of the deprecated OCI stages will not run. They compile but in the logs they throw a warning and abort.

Code: Select all

Oracle OCI has been DEPRECATED
This deprecated stage is replaced by the Oracle Connector Stage
Using the Connector Migration Tool, jobs using this deprecated component can be converted to use the Oracle Connector
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT was raised in stage 
This interfering with the upgrade schedule I had planned out. I've opened a PMR with IBM but they're being slow to respond. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone has been able to run a job with a deprecated stage?

I'm ok not having the stages available on the palette and I know eventually jobs will need to be updated, but I was hoping to do the in-place upgrade while it's available instead of doing a migration as it's going to take a lot of time to go and modify jobs and I would like to make the other benefits of the 11.5 available sooner rather than later to my developers.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

In addition to official release documentation, following blog post is quite informative ... What is New, Updated or Dropped in DataStage 11.5.See Excerpt
DataStage 11.5 is also the first version that will not include the old DataStage database plug-in stages with following replacements:
  • Dynamic RDBMS Stage: replaced by DRS Connector
    Oracle OCI, Oracle OCI Load: replaced by Oracle Connector
    Teradata API: replaced by Teradata Connector
    DB2 UDB Load, UBD API, DB2 Z: replaced by DB2 Connector
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... I see our old friend Vincent is still hard at work over there. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

In one of the releases they converted these to the recommended stages as they imported the jobs. You might try exporting and importing and see if it upgrades your jobs. Save you a lot of time fixing them one at a time. IBM might have something to upgrade them as well. Call support.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's called the Connector Migration Tool, and is mentioned in the error messages.

Another change in 11.x is that HTTP for connecting is no longer supported. People seem to have taken that one in their stride.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

Another change in DataStage 11.5 ... Some of the ODBC drivers which were deprecated in previous versions have now been retired.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You want to move away from the OCI stage to the Connector stage because IBM are no longer upgrading and certifying the OCI stages against new versions of databases. If you want to keep up to date with the latest Oracle or SQL Server then it's best to use the Connector Migration Wizard to convert all your jobs across to Connectors. There are some benefits to Connectors, I believe they are a bit faster and they have much better reject handling for things like foreign key or primary key violations.