algorith for loading a Dimension table in Data Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sirdavis
Participant

algorith for loading a Dimension table in Data Stage

Post by sirdavis »

ALGORITHM FOR ETL PROCESS ON DIMENSION TABLE.

I creating a standar algorithm for an ETL process on loading a dimension table. I expect you can suggest me or fix my process with your best comments.

STEPS:

1. Validation input file: header, detail and trailer.
2. Linux command for placing the file and grant permissions in the proper allocation and files. Variable environments and parameters.
3. Connect using the proper data source to the input file.ram
4. Sort the file before applying a transformation, if necessary apply a filter.
4.1 Apply the proper transformation process.
5. Load stage table -temporary table- previously it has been truncated and created index must be done.
6. Loading strategy.
6.1 Bulk mode
6.2 Insert or Update -DELTA process-.
7. Generate log file and update the control table processes and go to step nine, otherwise increase the complexity of the process.
7. Apply the join using the joiner component -hashed file- between input file and target table.
7.1 Tune the query if we have to join several input files and one target Dimension table.
7.2. divide and conquer: generate a join per every two input files, and generate a final join between the input files and target table.
8. Loading strategy.
8. Generate the log file and notification for process finished and failed.
9. Create a plan for failing process and rerun option.
10. Trigger the process -sequence- as per the dependency and priority and timely.
11. Your best suggestion

sirdavis :idea:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome. That's... an interesting list. For grins, can you verify we're talking about a Type 2 dimension here?

ps. Not really an algorithm, more of a process or procedure.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Use a Slowly Changing Dimension stage, which does all of that and, further, handles Type 2 and Type 1 (or some combination thereof).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.