One of URLs gets timeout error for the same web service

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

phand@mitre.org
Premium Member
Premium Member

One of URLs gets timeout error for the same web service

Post by phand@mitre.org »

Issue:
One of the URL call gets Timeout error when more than 5 URLs concurrently get called for the same web service.

My web service is created as followed.
1) A Datastage job with WISD output
2) A service is created to attach the above job in its operation in IBM InfoSphere information service director.
Binding as JSON, Active job instances min: 10, Max:10 Stuck Timeout: 90

Thank you in advance!

Jane Liu
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It could be a lot of things.....

First, if you only have a WISD output, it means that EVERY request (each time someone uses the URL for your REST binding), you are starting another Job instance. This is fine, but ultimately is not particularly scalable. If it fails consistently at 5, perhaps you have some low settings in the Workload Manager of the Operations Console...check the thresholds for number of concurrent Jobs allowed to run, the amount of memory, or your CPU threshhold.

What are you doing in the Job? Are you delivering data from a file or from a database table?

If so, consider re-writing it as a sparse lookup...so that you have a WISDinput Stage AND a WISDoutput stage....then you can still have 5+ concurrent user requests coming in, and it is likely that they can all be handled by a single Job just fine, with the built in buffering and load balancing that exists. I would probably make the minimum number of instances 2 or 3, and with that you should be able to get a very high volume of concurrent users.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
phand@mitre.org
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by phand@mitre.org »

Hi Ernie,
I tried your Real Time job approach. I like it. It is very helpful.
Thank you very much!
Jane Liu