How to display project protection status from command line?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to display project protection status from command line?

Post by qt_ky »

The dsadmin -protectproject command can only set a project to being protected or unprotected.

How can one simply display the project protection status from the command line, or perhaps grep it from some file, without setting it one way or another?

I have tried toggling the setting via DS Administrator, and found that the DSParams file did not change, whereas the $DSHOME/UV.ACCOUNT file does change. If I go into $DSHOME/bin/dssh and LIST UV.ACCOUNT before and after toggling the setting, however, I do not see any change. Where is the protection setting stored?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The amount of silence so far may indicate it's time for a small enhancement request. :?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

<crickets>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not all fields in the UV.ACCOUNT hashed file are visible by default. Project protection status is in one of the fields that is not visible by default. You need to ascertain which field number it is and use the EVAL "@RECORD<11>" AS PROTECTED syntax to display its value (assuming it's field number 11, which it probably isn't).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Specific searches on this question have come up empty.

Thank you for the tip, Ray. On 11.3.1, the LIST DICT UV.ACCOUNT command reports PERMISSIONS as field number 13.

I tried a LIST UV.ACCOUNT EVAL "@RECORD<13>" AS ABC command. It lists the project names in the first column and the second column remains empty.

I tried variations using value <1> through <20>. Only a few field numbers (7, 8, 11) display any values.

In some more variations, I tried using various CONVERT and FIELD functions on @RECORD<13> based on @SM, @FM, @VM, and @TM but no love yet. I suspect the field is truly empty.

The other ideas I tried, with no luck yet, involved a number of DStageWrapper.sh queries.

Am also asking Support...
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Support confirmed with engineering that there is no command line method available (at least nobody knows of one)... So I have entered an Enhancement Request.

Please review this enhancement request and VOTE using the RFE link below with your IBM ID. Here is the write-up:

1. Enhance the dsadmin command line utility to list project protection status for every project on the server at once.

2. Enhance the DataStage Administrator user interface, Projects tab, to display the list of all projects, with each project displaying (Protected) or (Not Protected) next to the project name.

If you or anyone you know has a lot of projects to manage, then please vote for this RFE and add your comments.

Request for Enhancement (RFE) link:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/ ... R_ID=68603

Thank you!
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I never got any feedback or communication about the RFE I had entered but was searching today and happened across this 7-month old tech note.

JR56983: ADD FUNCTIONALITY TO 'DSADMIN' TO REPORT ON WHETHER THE PROJECT IS PROTECTED

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1JR56983

I did not find any such patch on Fix Central so I have opened a PMR to ask where the patch can be downloaded from. I guess this is what progress feels like! :lol:
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The server patch modifies these files:

${PROJECT}/DSG_BP.O/DSListProjectProperties.B

After applying the patch, the dsadmin command reports whether or not a project is protected. Yay!