Control Who Can Submit to Workload Management Queues

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ray.wurlod
Participant

Control Who Can Submit to Workload Management Queues

Post by ray.wurlod »

Workload management queues (version 9.1 and later) are defined globally in an Information Server engine. Anyone submitting a DataStage job run request may request that the job be submitted to any queue on the system. A project may have a default queue defined, but that does not submit a canny user from learning that a high priority queue exists.

To that end, I would like to see a three-pronged approach to controlling who can use queues.

(1) an administrator can block a queue - no more jobs can be submitted to this queue (except by an administrator) - this can give an over-used queue the chance to drain

(2) only the queues mentioned in a project can be used by jobs submitted for that project

(3) a mechanism (probably role-driven) be implemented to specify in the queue definition who is permitted to submit jobs to it
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have submitted a formal request for enhancement.

Did you know that there is a new mechanismfor this - you don't need to open a support case?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I voted for it. I also added a comment on that site, but something went wrong and I lost the first part about "circumventing the WLM at the queue level."

"Administrators need control over which queues are accessible and visible for various projects/users/groups to select when running jobs from the GUIs or the command line."

As far as blocking a queue, I think it may be nice to have. An admin should already be able to move jobs from one queue to another to clean out a given queue. A sequence calling hundreds of jobs could continue to drop those in the same queue. If that queue were blocked in the midst of such a run, then add the remaining jobs to the default queue?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius