Information Server 11.3 and Unidata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Information Server 11.3 and Unidata

Post by nvalia »

Hi,

Server Jobs to Server Jobs Migration (No Parallel jobs for now!)

We were planning to migrate from on old version 7.5.2 to Information Server 9.1 but now we see 11.3 is available as well.

For 11.3,
Deprecated features, explains that they are no longer supporting Unidata 6, but will still support Unidata Stage to connect to Unidata 7.0 or earlier.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... _11.3.html

We are currently only using Unidata Stages, not Unidata 6, against our Unidata 7.3 Server

So should we be migrating directly to 11.3 instead of 9.1 and any other considerations beside this one point?

Any help in this regard will be appreciated
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Looks like you've gone through the "what's new" document. Also go through the system requirements document (the item that caught my attention was the client is no longer supported on any 32-bit Windows).

The web console does not run on IE 11 as well.

As long as you're comfortable with everything in those documents, you could jump to 11.3.

Personally, I'd probably choose to go with version 9.1.2 since 11.3 doesn't have enough of a track record for my taste.

Mike
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Mike wrote:The web console does not run on IE 11 as well.
Have you tested this with IE 11 and found a problem?

The 11.3 system requirements page says that IE 9 and 10 are the minimum versions supported. I've run it using IE 8 and not encountered any problem.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Yes I have (win 7 pro). There are many new items on the Launchpad page. Most were fine with IE 11, but the web console (Administrative Console?) and 1 other (don't remember which) insisted on specific versions of IE or Firefox (no Google Chrome either for those two).

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Just booted up the server... Metadata Asset Manager is the other Launchpad item that won't tolerate IE 11.

All you get on the Administration Console is this error message:
IBM InfoSphere Information Server supports Mozilla Firefox (ESR 17 and 24) and Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 9.0 and 10.0) browsers.
Mike
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The browser types and versions you quoted in the message do match the 11.3 system requirements web page (no Chrome).

Both the 11.3 web console and IMAM work OK with IE 8, so the versions mentioned are not fully enforced. I'm not suggesting to use IE 8, it just happens to be the version that my organization officially supports.

Several of my coworkers had upgraded to IE 10 and discovered later that Microsoft had automagically upgraded them to IE 11, without their permission. So, I'm not sure how one would go about forcing IE 10 to remain in place. It sounds like switching to Firefox is the solution.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There has been a significant license change that may interest you. DataStage WorkGroup Edition version 8.x and 9.x comes only with DataStage Enterprise Edition and no Server Edition. However DataStage WorkGroup Edition 11.3 comes with DataStage Server Edition. If you want to start using both Server jobs and Parallel jobs you can upgrade your license to DataStage WorkGroup Edition which costs about the same as DataStage Server Edition and you get both parallel and server jobs.

Be aware that version 11.3 can only use a DB2 database internal repository and that it probably wont be until the end of September that it will be available on SQL Server and Oracle.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I also found that IE8 works with the 11.3 Administration Console since I fired up an old machine image in order to use an older browser and set up security for 11.3.

In IE11, if you go to the "About Internet Explorer" option under help, there is a check box for "Install new versions automatically". I don't know if that exists in IE10 since I discovered it too late.

Mike